• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsely accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

9481mic

What is the name of your state? CO
A co-worker made false allegations about sexual comments at work after I had been disciplining them for attendance matters. It was found that these statements were taken out of context from every day, normal conversations. Now I feel very uncomfortable supervising and disciplining this person because I am afraid they will try this again. What can I do? This is making a very uncomfortable work environment. Could this be a hostile environment for me now?

Sockeye

Are you a co-worker or supervisor? It's confusing because you said you were disiplining them for attendance.

Also, the allegations were made, were they investigated, and what was the determination by managment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A hostile work environment means that you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin etc.). Your circumstances do not apply.

9481mic

Thank you for the info. Do I have any recourse towards the employee for trying to get me fired? Either through the work place or a civil suit?

Beth3

Not really. (a) You fortunately didn't suffer any damages as a result of her complaint, (b) even if you had, how are you going to PROVE that she purposefully and knowingly falsified the allegations? (It's easy enough for her to claim that she FELT sexually harassed by your comments; a reasonable assumption that she made the false complaint because you disciplined her is not legal proof that she lied.) And lastly (c) if you take any action against her that well could land you in legal trouble as she could claim retaliation for her bringing a SH complaint. The same applies to the company. Taking action against (discipline, discharge) because she brought unfounded accusations would immediately expose them to a charge of prohibited retaliation.

You are indeed in an akward situation. For the time being, your best bet is to limit your conversations with this employee to strictly business and inform HR immediately if you have any concerns about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">