• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsely accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cebass00

I recieved a Possesion of Marijuana ticket camping where cops found a pipe, and a stash of weed. Two of my fellow campers claimed the pipe and the weed but I still recieved a ticket even though I never had possesion of any of it. Should I fight my case?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, hmm, see the problem here is this: did you use any of it? If so, how long ago was this? If you really want to fight it, and you didn't use it, then go with it. If it was less than 90 days ago, the court may ask you to submit to a hair analysis test. Marijuana when inhaled (not the smoke from second hand smoke, but the acutal product) stays in your system for 90 days.

Hope this helps.

T

Tracey

Absolutely fight the charge. Hire a lawyer. There's no such thing as a 'trivial' drug conviction in this country. Since the mj wasn't in your exclusive control 7 your friends claimed it was theirs, the State will have a hard time proving you owned it. Try not to be tried with them -- guilt by association is alive and well in the US.

Don't submit to a hair analysis unless you've had an independent test done first & passed it with flying colors. The 5th amendment protects you from being forced to make the state's case for it. As long as the police heard the other campers claim ownership, all they've got on you is proximity. That's not enough to prove possession. I mean, hey, you were sitting upwind and didn't even know they had any, right?

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">