• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely banned from Counter-Strike, a Steam game made by Valve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
When did I admit it ? This command I was talking about earlier was used on an offline server, where console cheat commands can be used (sv_cheats 1) and is part of the game so I never cheated or got advantage to beat other players.
One of the things you will discover about online gaming is that just because a command/feature is able to be used in a game does not mean that it's ok to use it. You want to be familiar with the game and learn what things are considered within what the game allows and which things are considered to be cheats/exploits. I have been a gamer myself and have seen players (and whole groups of players) banned or otherwise sanctioned for using things in the game in a way that they really should have known were not intended by the game designers. You have to be particularly careful with add-ons, macros, command line commands, etc, since those things may alter the game experience in ways that the game designers did not anticipate and that they consider to be unacceptable. While you used it offline, the company evidently detected its use, and that then becomes a problem for you. It may be that the feature you activated stays active until you enter another command to turn it off; in that case you might have had it active during online game play, which then the company would see and take steps to ban.

In any event, it is up to the company to decide who gets to play their games. Their game, their rules. All you can do is try to be nice and persuade the company that you'll not engage in that kind of thing and to give you a chance to play again.

FlyingRon

Yep, it's pretty clear from reading the game forums that while fov_cs_debug doesn't do anything for the game, if you have it on, you have a prerequisite cheat hack enabled. If you're going to play their games you can't have any of that stuff on your computer whether you're using it to actively cheat or not. They have stuff in there to detect that the stuff is around and will RIGHTFULLY shut you out.

Again, all this is neither here nor there. They're free to boot you whether you were cheating or not. The game-universe is not a democracy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yep, it's pretty clear from reading the game forums that while fov_cs_debug doesn't do anything for the game, if you have it on, you have a prerequisite cheat hack enabled. If you're going to play their games you can't have any of that stuff on your computer whether you're using it to actively cheat or not. They have stuff in there to detect that the stuff is around and will RIGHTFULLY shut you out.

Again, all this is neither here nor there. They're free to boot you whether you were cheating or not. The game-universe is not a democracy.
That's a good thing to point out. It's not the use of the command, it's the fact that software was installed that allowed the use of the command.

p1xxz

That's a good thing to point out. It's not the use of the command, it's the fact that software was installed that allowed the use of the command.
I didnt use any software, on offline server you can use the console to use cheat commands thats what I did, and I think it didnt reset correctly when I went to online competitive.

PayrollHRGuy

Move on p1xxz.

And if you can't your time would be much better served in the gaming forums asking how other people got their bans lifted (assuming some did).

p1xxz

It was supposed to reset automaticlly, and it always did that even with blatant console commands I used to try new smokes grenades, alone (noclip, fly).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was supposed to reset automaticlly, and it always did that even with blatant console commands I used to try new smokes grenades, alone (noclip, fly).
Why do you believe that it's "supposed to reset automatically"?

quincy

I didnt use any software, on offline server you can use the console to use cheat commands thats what I did, and I think it didnt reset correctly when I went to online competitive.
That appears to be where your focus should be, then, if it did not reset automatically as designed.

But you have no legal action to pursue against Steam.

quincy

After 3 years I would say it's not even worth the time to try to appeal to Valve. Why not just make another account for that game? Maybe even make a new account and gift your other games to that account. I know there would be loss in game data but it's your choice.
This thread is from December of last year. Please do not revive old threads to add questions or comments. Thanks.

Last edited:
Its already revived, but interesting read. I am acquainted with this topic and sv_cheats 1 has to be set server-side. Client variables like fov_cs_debug have zero effect if they join a server with sv_cheats = 0 (This is the normal, 95+% of servers are set to this value). When sv_cheats = 1 client-side values are used (I know I use to admin several CS servers for many years). If set to zero the client downloads the server.conf file and uses that as a resource for the game. There is no reset conf required on the client-side. The OP of this is mistaken of that being the origin of his ban, furthermore, valve's anti-cheat also known as VAC does not search for client-side values while SV_Cheat = 1 for obvious reasons it's these values (Also modifying them) is fully supported by the client (Its more looking for memory injection, Antivirus tend to do this to scan processes and can create false positives with VAC).
That being said this is old and can be locked. (bummer I didn't catch this when he posted).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">