• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family abuse I need advice quick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl from Massachusettes. I'm very confused and scared and hopefully this web site will give me a clue in what I should do

Ever since I can remeber my dads had a history of drinking and extreme drug use. He is what they call a dead beat he hasnt given me more then 4,000 since the time I was 5 years old. Although he has only abused me once or twice when I was very small, he has continued to abuse my mother off and on threw the years even though he is not living here and they are not together.

Recently I had called him and asked him for 400 for college, after getting that money and not needing all that he gave me I decided to say nothing, just keep it because it is the little from him. Well he went behind our back called my college, found out my classes the times they were at how much the things I needed cost and when finding out I only need 100 dollars he came over here and severly abused my mother thinking she took the remander of the money for herself. He learked outside the house till after I had left for work, and then he made his way inside, I am very scared that he is gonna come back again, he is a very dangerous man especially under the influence.

He has told my mother that he would kill her if she ever took him to court but never said n e thing about me doing it. so here is why I need advice, I come from a low class family we struggle to get everything we have and now that I am struggling to pay for my own college I need the back child support money now more then ever, but I am afraid. I wanna get him put away so that he is so far away he can never verbalily abuse me or pysically abuse my mother again. So is there anyway I can sue him for the money myself? and is there any way I can get him put in jail but still recieve checks to help my family from sinking?

please help me.


Senior Member
you have to report his actions to the police. either you or your mom or both of you contact a domestic violence shelter (in the yellow pages) and get advice on stopping him. dont wait.


Under the Radar Member
This could just be me, but I'd think the money is a hell of a lot less important than your or your Mom's well-being. Without any police reports - you're going to have a nearly impossible time proving that he's done anything.

You can't sue for back CS because it's not you he owes the money to - it's your Mom who would have to do it. I agree with stephenk that you'd be best served by going to a DV center.


Look up MA victim compensation. Your mom may be entitled to money for expenses, including a lawyer, relating to her victimization. Was it court ordered child support he owed? If it was, call child support enforcement. If she has him arrested, she should tell them he threatened to kill her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential