• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family emergency when i am ordered to turn myself into jail!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am suppose to turn myself in by specific day and time. 7 hours before I get horrible news that my 18year old nephew in Idaho passed away, I need to go now...how do I deal with this? I am sentenced to 30 days in Jail SWAP is ok. Is there something I can file, do I just call

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ahh, there's your question. Tell me...how do you know that your nephew in Idaho will have passed away 7 hours before the future date that you need to turn yourself in? Also, what do you think your presence can do to prevent your nephew's passing?

There are consequences to criminal behavior. One of those consequences is not being around to be supportive to family who may be going through difficult times. Your scenario doesn't seem to be an emergency.

justalayman

How is this an emergency. Your presence does not alter the situation

Your only chance of avoiding meeting your current turn in date and time is either don’t show up (and be faced with additional charges and penalties) or spend a lot of money on a very persuasive lawyer who might be able to get your turn in time and date delayed. Given it’s late Friday this is all but impossible but if you have enough money, there is always a chance.

A death is not anything anyone can help-my question as is there something i can file. I'm sorry but the was the rudest coldest comment...super ignorant

Just Blue

A death is not anything anyone can help-my question as is there something i can file. I'm sorry but the was the rudest coldest comment...super ignorant
The poor way you worded your 1st post wasn't clear. Call your attorney and see what s/he says.

Mass_Shyster

I'm sorry for your loss.
You absolutely want to contact your attorney and let him or her know what's going on. Tell your lawyer where you are going, when you are going, how you are getting there, where you will be staying while you're there, when you are returning, and how you are returning.

Don't be surprised if the police are waiting for you when you get off the plane.

justalayman

You’re correct but a death in the family does not constitute an emergency. You cannot alter the situstion so your presence is not beneficial in the terms which would justify it being considered an emergency. What you seek is a delay based on humanitarian/compassionate grounds.

One HUGE problem you have is that you are speaking of leaving the state. You may be denied for that simple fact.

justalayman

I'm sorry for your loss.
You absolutely want to contact your attorney and let him or her know what's going on. Tell your lawyer where you are going, when you are going, how you are getting there, where you will be staying while you're there, when you are returning, and how you are returning.

Don't be surprised if the police are waiting for you when you get off the plane.

You’re setting the kid up for additional charges and jail time. If the relative just passed the op should not rush out the door until speaking with their attorney and seeking their advice. With no knowledge of why op is going to jail and op’s criminal history it may not be that serious to no show the turn in date. On the other hand it could lead to some very serious charges and long term incarceration.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The poor way you worded your 1st post wasn't clear. Call your attorney and see what s/he says.
To me, it seemed like a hypothetical question - almost as if the OP were trying to find a reason to not turn himself in. In any case, and as was mentioned above, the death of an extended family member is not (generally) an emergency.

justalayman

I need to get to my sister that's is not an option...I will just call jail, attorney and take my chances...
Actually not going is an option. If it was this time tomorrow you wouldn’t be going because you would have already presented to the jail.

You need to slow down and do everything you can do to avoid “taking your chances”. If there is a way to be allowed to go without incurring additional penalties you really need to speak with those you listed.
In addition I would suggest contacting the prosecuting attorney who prosecuted the case for which you are going to jail and the court itself.

I didn’t mean to be so calllous. I was trying to tell you what has happened is not technically an emergency where one would seek relief based on an actual emergency situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">