• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedHearts101

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Okay, so my child's father willingly himself asked for paternity at the support confernce. I was told he didn't show up for the testing. This is confusing to me because considering he asked for the test himself. What happens next? Not knowing is really stressful

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Okay, so my child's father willingly himself asked for paternity at the support confernce. I was told he didn't show up for the testing. This is confusing to me because considering he asked for the test himself. What happens next? Not knowing is really stressful
Well, its quite possible that he will be declared the father by default since he was a no show for the testing..

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well, its quite possible that he will be declared the father by default since he was a no show for the testing..
Not unless he was court ordered to do the testing. And it does not sound like he was court ordered to do it. If that's the case then the appropriate motion should be filed in the court to have him ordered to do it.

LdiJ

Not unless he was court ordered to do the testing. And it does not sound like he was court ordered to do it. If that's the case then the appropriate motion should be filed in the court to have him ordered to do it.
It sounded to me like this was something going through CSE. Of course if it wasn't, then That won't happen.

RedHearts101

It sounded to me like this was something going through CSE. Of course if it wasn't, then That won't happen.
I filed through the state for specifically paternity testing and then to find out that state automatically files for child support reguardless. If that helps at all

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Is this about the same child/parent: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/child-custody.623907/

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/paternity-support-case.657853/

He seems to run hot or cold... If it's not his was, it's no way. (Thank you for not agreeing to a 6 month on/off schedule for a newborn, BTW.)

He can demand a paternity test, and his not showing up may result in rescheduling if he has a valid excuse. But if he's just using a delaying tactic thinking that this will result in him not having to pay support, he's in for a surprise.

RedHearts101

Is this about the same child/parent: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/child-custody.623907/

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/paternity-support-case.657853/

He seems to run hot or cold... If it's not his was, it's no way. (Thank you for not agreeing to a 6 month on/off schedule for a newborn, BTW.)

He can demand a paternity test, and his not showing up may result in rescheduling if he has a valid excuse. But if he's just using a delaying tactic thinking that this will result in him not having to pay support, he's in for a surprise.
Yes, same child same father. The last I have heard there's another support conference in Feb 2020. I have heard nothing about another paternity test being done. I'm not too sure if he is using the delay tactic considering he is pretty smart to know that wouldn't prevent him paying the support. He currently has 3 other children and 1 he has an active case in family law with and the other 2 he lives with. I'm pretty sure he knows the family law very well.

RedHearts101

Does anyone know how I can request to drop the whole thing and just have the case closed? Him not appearing for the paternity test he requested himself. If the state court orders him to to do I feel everything is going to go downhill from there

LdiJ

Does anyone know how I can request to drop the whole thing and just have the case closed? Him not appearing for the paternity test he requested himself. If the state court orders him to to do I feel everything is going to go downhill from there
If you are collecting any kind of state benefits, ie food stamps, Medicaid, Section 8 housing or TANIF you won't be allowed to drop the case.

RedHearts101

If you are collecting any kind of state benefits, ie food stamps, Medicaid, Section 8 housing or TANIF you won't be allowed to drop the case.
I didn't file the case through welfare so that makes no sense. When I filed before I was able to drop the case but that was another state..

LdiJ

I didn't file the case through welfare so that makes no sense. When I filed before I was able to drop the case but that was another state..
I said "if". I was providing you with information. If you are not on any kind of state benefits then the information does not apply to you.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The point being that IF the state is providing for the child, the state is invested in having the parents' support. IF you need help doing so, they want A father helping, too.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That's stupid.

He's not as clever as you think; he knows little about Family Law. What he does know it how to play you and manipulate you into giving up.

Just get paternity established so that you can get child support, and so that it won't be an issue in the future. If you had paternity established and he's contesting it, well, then it is up to him to show up at his court ordered testing, if he doesn't want to be ruled the father be default. And guess what? Legally, being ruled the legal father by default (skipping the DNA test) subjects him to all the same legal responsibilities as being determined the legal father any other way. This IS a delaying tactic: he wants you to give up and you are falling for it.

And have the child support go through the state enforcement bureau.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">