• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family mediator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dubss

What is the name of your state? florida

Can someone explain to me what a family mediator would do if I went we my son's father on our Own? Can the court use any of the information said in a session? Could there be some sort of trap on the fathers side? Not sure his intentions. I don't trust him. Please help

I NEED A QUICK ANSWER

Last edited:

karma1

Not in FL but in CA....

mediation is required in all family court matters, however-if the parents reach an agreement before mediation-they call a number on the bottom of the mediation notice and let the mediator know they do not need mediation-
I have some experience with mediation second hand and have yet to see parents work it out...but they still go to court anyway and get a court order from their agreement.
If you meet with other parent and work things out-just get it in writing....no "he said, she said" arguements.....
I imagine in Fl it still would have to go before a judge before it becomes a court order, so you still can agree or disagree in court.
if you really dont trust other parent-dont meet with him-wait for mediation-
side note-the first thing the judge asked in the cases I observed and was involved in was if the parents had reached an agreement that he should be aware of before the hearing started-he gave high praises to those parents that made some compromises and only needed him to help work out small details-he also emphasized that the less he had to do, the better it was for the child since they were the parents...I found that really profound.
*not an attorney-just voicing some thoughts..*

A

aliyah's mom

I'M IN FLORIDA...

I recently went to the court ordered mediation and came to an agreement. If you can come to an agreement before the mediation, you dont have to go.

A word of warning before you do go....know what you want and what you will agree to and be SPECIFIC. This has already come back to bite me in the butt. Some of the things, such as holiday visitation is worded very vague. Make sure even if it is 10 pages long, that it is very specific. I would hate to see anyone going through what I am now.

Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">