• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family medical leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shirlrn

I had surgery in Nov and the surgeon made several mistakes. I have been out of work since Nov 28. I have used all my vacation, short term, and donated times from my peers. I have also been on leave thru family'medical leave act. I am now eligible to apply for long term disability. Today I received a letter from COBRA saying that I am on a leave of absence and my insurance premium will be $200+. My question is: can my employer do this to me while i am out "sick"? shirley

A

Attorney_Replogle

The general rule is "Yes" the employer can do this "to you". Actually the federal government is involved in your situation with regard to the insurance called COBRA. Since it came from Washington, it is much more expensive than what you previously had. Whether there is anything legal that you can or should do, I don't know given the details. Yet I urge you to speak with an employment law attorney near you about this matter. You can find one at attorneypages.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">