• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family member fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Packer12

I live in OR if that matters.

Here is my monthly income breakdown

1,500 in Social Security benifits - me
700 in Social Security benefits - wife
1,200 in army military retirement - me
3,500 in state of OR retirement - me

6,900 total income

I was paying this family member 6,500 per month to house my wife and I (I have early onset dementia and my wife has Alzheimer's and was previously in a memory care facility). 6,500 may seem high, but it is a lot cheaper than any other place for a person with memory care and I wouldn't be able to live with her otherwise.

I just found out I have $160k in credit card debts in my wife's and mines name - most cards set up without my knowledge. The family member who I was paying admitted to me that he lost over $125k gambling and used my monthly income money and credit cards to pay off his debts.

I am now left with 15,000 in my checking account and still need to pay someone (most likely him still so I can live with my wife as it would cost over 10,000 a month elsewhere) for shelter and medical care.

The credit card bills are almost 5,000 per month and the family member is at a point he cannot pay any longer.

What are my options if he stops paying?

I've paid him through other people and family members as he doesn't have a checking account. If I file chapter 7 it sounds like these people will possibly be ordered to pay back money.

I cannot pay him and the credit cards so I will be stopping the credit card payments soon. What can I expect and will chapter 7 even help my situation? Will they go after the family member for fraud or the other family members for money I sent them used to pay for my wife's care? I will not be able to stay with my wife if we don't live with him unfortunately.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Norm

adjusterjack

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - Talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

2 - Report this low life's criminal acts to the police.

3 - Let whatever happens, happen. Think only about self-preservation of you and your wife. Nothing and nobody else counts.

Might consider talking to a geriatric social worker who can find you a legitimate care home that can house you and your wife.

HRZ

Sorry, I meant where does OP live IF the bad apple goes to jail?

Basically the OPs landlord ripped him off....deserves a nice trip to,long visit on in jail ...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Sorry, I meant where does OP live IF the bad apple goes to jail?

Basically the OPs landlord ripped him off....deserves a nice trip to,long visit on in jail ...
Are you suggesting that OP not report this, because he'd have to move?

Clearly, OP should not be pressured into staying with this lowlife. OP should be pressured into reporting this lowlife, even if it means that OP and his wife will have to relocate. That is why more sensible seniors like AJ have suggested getting a geriatric social worker involved.

OP has early onset dementia. OP's wife has Alzheimer's. Things are difficult for them, and this has ballooned because a lowlife relative saw an opportunity to take advantage of people with neurological challenges.

OP needs to report the fraud. I get that OP is resisting, because he sees no other way that he can continue to live with his wife, but if he does not address this now, things will definitely get even worse, and they'll both be left wandering the streets or worse.

HRZ

Actually I think this rotten family member / LL is way beyond fraud and probably into forgery and theft by deception as well...and deserves everything the DA can make stick to his sorry behind.

And OP should be making police report darn soon.

( I've seen similar stories of ripping off older vulnerable citizens and am of view the bad apples deserve all than can be dished out to them ! Some seem to operate multiple such homes, each below the major regulatory thresholds. )

And OP, I'd be of view you are not responsible for changes made to your CCs by forgery or w0 your permission...and it might be smart to report the improper use to law enforcement to lay the foundation for disputing payments to CC firms.

If you " loaned" the LL your CCs then he might argue use was by permission..did you?

Him not having a checking account and the use of other family members as his agents / to collect his funds only thickens his lousy plot ...and they too deserve to be on one big hot spot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">