• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family member stores personal items on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

edkim3110

What is the name of your state? ohio

I have a brother-in-law who i gave permission to store personal items in my barn on the back of my lot. I now need that space for my things and i can't get him to move his things. It's been almost 5 years since we started letting him use this space and he has been asked several times to move his things. He also has a broken down van sitting on my property that has expired tags on it. Local law enforcement told me there was nothing they could do because the van was parked legally. I need help with my options and am prepared to get rid of everything myself as long as ther are no legal ramifications against me. Thank You

JETX

Send your BIL a very nice letter (certified RRR) 'reminding' him of the property that you have so graciously stored. In that letter, include a statement that, due to circumstances, he needs to make arrangements to remove his property within 30 days from receipt and that if it is not removed, it will incur storage fees of $25 (??) per day for another 30 days (or so). If it isn't removed after that period, then it will be disposed of without recourse and proceeds, if any, applied to the storage fees incurred.

Of course, if you need this done faster, you could waive the issue of storage fees and that time, but then he could make a claim that any 'benefits' (charity tax deduction, sales, etc.) would be his.

E

edkim3110

My biggest concern is being charged with theft if I "dispose" of all the items, includung the van. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would rather not wait two more months. I do have a paper trail of my request giving him one week to have everything gone. Thank you for the timely response.

HomeGuru

edkim3110 said:
My biggest concern is being charged with theft if I "dispose" of all the items, includung the van. Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would rather not wait two more months. I do have a paper trail of my request giving him one week to have everything gone. Thank you for the timely response.
**A: then start getting rid of the crap this weekend.

HomeGuru

edkim3110 said:
so your saying i can't be held liable?
**A: yes, with respect to the junk. Now as far as the can is concerned, tow it off your property and let the cops have it towed away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">