• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

betsyrod

emancipation of a 16 yr. old minor after she has child?

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughters friend is 16 and she claimed that when you're a minor and you have a child you're emancipated from your parents and that you could move out if she wanted to. Is this true?

Last edited:

J

jamrav8

emancipation of 16 yr old

once a child has been emancipated, your not entitled to do anything, they chose to be grown and on there own, so be it. the child can't ask for anything and you legally don't owe them a dime.

stephenk

Your daughter's friend is wrong. You need a court order granting emancipation. Just having a baby does not emancipate a minor. In fact, it's really a burden.

J

jamrav8

emancipation at 16

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes, you do need to go to court to have a child emancipated, a teenager/child having a baby doesn't emancipate you on their own. I'm sorry for not making that clear. You have to go to court and after the judge hears both sides, if the judge sees that its in the best interest to be on their own, he orders it and that's it. The parents aren't responsible or obligated to do anything for the child after emancipation, even if the child has a baby. And the baby wouldn't be a burden, if the child got pregnant, its the responsibility of the child and the father to take care of this baby.

nextwife

And if the father is 15 or 14? Neither "parent" can even legally work a full week. They are limited by child labor laws. They can't even legally enter into a contract, as far as I know. To rent, to obtain credit, etc.

J

jamrav8

emancipating a 16 year old

True, if the father is under legal working age, he can't do much. But he can get a paper route or deliver penny savers. He can collect bottles and take them to the store. She can help him, she can find babysit, in the summer, he can rake peoples grass and leaves for money. He can shovel snow in the winter time, he can wash cars. They just have to be creative. That's the whole point of if a 16 year old wants to be emancipated. They need to realize or be told by their parents that once their emancipated, theres no running back home to mommy and daddy because you have no money. Wait out that 2 years until your 18, stay home, get a job, save some money. That's what happens when kids try to be grown. Now, with a pregnant teenager/child, if she's emancipated, the parents aren't obligated to help their child out but if the parents want to, they can do for the grandchild. That's why children should remain children and stop trying to grow up so soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">