• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fancy mailbox destroyed in car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Two days ago early in the morning our tenant called us and informed us that over night some car had hit the mailbox and completely destroyed it (20 pieces, bricks broken etc.). It was a fancy one with (real) flowers and was out of brick. It had been completely redone, painted etc. a few month back when we remodelled the upscale house (we have photos).

The driver also hit the direct neighbor's truck and damaged it. They called the police, who came but was not to confident to find the driver.

Yesterday a young man showed up at the house and told our tenant that it was him. He is the boyfriend of some neighbors daughter. It was his mother's car.

He refused to give us the name of the insurance company, as his mother does not want to handle this through the insurance.

He offered us to send some guy that he knows that could repair it.

The direct neighbour with the damaged truck told us that he will keep the police involved as they are already on the case.

I am not very familiar with this law and would appreciate your advice.

What would you do?

Am I entitled to know who the insurance is?

Now that the police is involved anyway, will this not be a hit and run anyway causing criminal charges?

Thanks for your help!

Stephan

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd get a couple of bids for repairing the damage from reputable sources and submit them to the driver and the owner of the car and ask for reimbursement. Alternatively, you could have the damage repaired through your insurance and they will pursue the other party(ies) for reimbursement.

ETA: In theory, they are supposed to provide you with their insurance information. In practice, if you end up suing over this, you won't be suing the insurance company.

STEPHAN

At this point I have nothing. No name, no number plate, no insurance information etc.

Is there a way via the police to find that?

Dave1952

If it's a hit and run, the police may not have any info. Does your tenant? How about the neighbor with the damaged truck? How about the girlfriend? Does anybody have a name?
So call the police and visit with your tenant and his neighbors.

justalayman

How would you ask them who their insurance company is if you don't know who they are?

If somebody has their contact info, use that to contact them and tell them you are going to obtain some estimates and will contact them (the kid) for payment once you have an estimate.

If you don't have contact info, call the police and tell them what you know. They will take their thumbscrews down to the neighbor girls house and extract all the information you need to sue the kid.

STEPHAN

The neighbour with the damaged car knows more. He was able to get a cell phone number, but the kid does not pick up. He is on it with the police.

Is the police obligated to tell me what they know?

justalayman

he is on it with the police? Have you reported the mailbox as part of the crash?

police reports are, eventually, for the most part, public record so you would be able to obtain a copy of the report, eventually, most likely. They would be more likely to share information on a hit and run situation with an involved party in the current time so, have you reported the mailbox as part of the accident?

STEPHAN

I have not reported anything so far. But the tenant told us, that the police took photos of the mailbox and talked to them while investigating. The neighbor with the damaged car had called them.

justalayman

well, since this is a rental house, how do you propose they are going to figure out who the owner is and contact you?

Give the cops a call and let them know you own the pile of bricks formerly known as your mailbox. Then ask them if they know who did it and if you can get the name and any contact info for the kid so you can make a claim against their insurance and or driver and or owner of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">