• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fastest way to get license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NRH81

California

Ok, I've never had a drivers license before. When I was 16, I was living in Oregon. One night I was drunk, tried to walk home, and was stopped by the police. I was cited for minor in possession of consumption of alcohol. My mom and I went to court and the judge gave me community service, alcohol/drug treatment, and suspended me from getting a license until I turned 21. I was nowhere near a car, yet it effected my ability to get a license in order to punish me or something like that. Well, 5 years later I tried to get a license. They said nope, I must pay all the fine accumulated from 5 years earlier which adds up to around $1500. I said screw that! So being the rebellious type, I got a car and drove anyway. Eventually, I got pulled over for having a cracked windshield. Keep in mind, I went through drivers ed and got plenty of behind the wheel training because I was going to get a license the same year that I got I trouble for the alcohol. I've never broke a traffic law and that's no joke. My friends tell me I drive like I'm carting around the president. I've been ticketed twice for having no license, and no insurance. I had one car impounded for this reason. I have fines in Oregon that add up to around $1500 and in California around the same. So $3000 total. My question is, am I doomed to walk to work for the rest of my damn life? Is there anyway to get these fines reduced? I'm 27 years old and still have never had a license. It seems the only way to fix a problem like this anymore is to throw a ton of money at it. Is there anything I could file with the court in both states to get the fines reduced? Feel like I was kind of screwed out of the starting gate on this one. Any feedback would be great.

j991

You've already dug a huge hole that is going to take you a long time to get out of. Go to the courts where the fines where accrued. You can ask to set up a payment plan to release the penalty hold on your license. If they agree you'll be able to get your license as long as you continue to pay the monthly fee. If you miss a month you licesnce will be suspended and you won't get a second chance. Unfortunetly for you, its been so long and you have racked up so much in fines, that the courts may not let you set up a plan. Stop driving, save your money.

racer72

I've never broke a traffic law and that's no joke.
The jokes on you, driving without a license is a violation of the traffic laws of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The only way you will ever get a license is to pay all your fines (don't expect any reductions either), pay the license reinstatement fees for both states, then take the written and driving tests and you might get a license. You screwed yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The jokes on you, driving without a license is a violation of the traffic laws of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The only way you will ever get a license is to pay all your fines (don't expect any reductions either), pay the license reinstatement fees for both states, then take the written and driving tests and you might get a license. You screwed yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself.
And, for just about every state, etc. driving with no insurance and a cracked windshield is ALSO a violation :rolleyes:

NRH81

Yes yes yes. I know, your right. Driving with no license and insurance is a violation. What I mean is things like speeding, not using turn signal, running red lights, and being plain careless while driving. I did screw myself by driving anyway, but that penalties imposed on a kid that had a few beers one summer night was excessive. I didn't know that you could get your license suspended for a MIP. I thought you had to be driving to get your license suspended for alcohol. I was walking down the sidewalk. That's what I mean by being screwed from the start. They shouldn't make people pay for petty things they did when they were kids. Everything else happened after I was a legal adult. So yeah, I guess I should have known better. So I guess your answer is...throw a bunch of money at it. I suppose that's what I'll have to do in the end.

NRH81

And, for just about every state, etc. driving with no insurance and a cracked windshield is ALSO a violation :rolleyes:
I was only talking about driving violations. Yes, I know it's illegal to drive with no insurance. I knew that you can't have anything obstucting your view. However, the crack was 6 inches in length and was on the upper passenger side. Clearly not obstructing the drivers view. An important note is that I didn't get cited for that crack. It was merely used as a reason to pull me over. I didn't have anything to do with my actual skills as a driver.

cyjeff

Yes yes yes. I know, your right. Driving with no license and insurance is a violation. What I mean is things like speeding, not using turn signal, running red lights, and being plain careless while driving. I did screw myself by driving anyway, but that penalties imposed on a kid that had a few beers one summer night was excessive.
So, write your congressman.

I didn't know that you could get your license suspended for a MIP.
Ignorance of the law is never an excuse.

I thought you had to be driving to get your license suspended for alcohol.
Apparently not.

I was walking down the sidewalk. That's what I mean by being screwed from the start.
Yes, it is terrible when you decide to break the law, get caught, refuse to take responsibility for your actions and then blame the system because it caught you.

Darn system!

They shouldn't make people pay for petty things they did when they were kids.
Soooooo... you think kids should be immune from prosecution? Good luck getting THAT through your congressman.

Everything else happened after I was a legal adult.
Thereby PROVING that older doesn't necessarily mean wiser.

So yeah, I guess I should have known better.
Got it in one.

So I guess your answer is...throw a bunch of money at it. I suppose that's what I'll have to do in the end.
Well, look at it this way. If you weren't such a stubborn idiot determined to prove that the man had no hold on you, the fines would be half and you would have a license today.

You can blame the rest on your misdirected sense of pride.

NRH81

Hey cyjeff, what is your problem pal? Were you a perfect child? There is plenty of literature out there you can read that will tell you all about how kids are incapable of considering the future impact of their decision making. Plus, you make it sound like what I did was really bad or something. I'm not saying the system shouldn't prosecute minors. What I'm saying is, the punishment should fit the crime. We're talking about a penalty that will effect someone for several years over a kid drinking some beer. Lame. You wrote that ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you knew all the laws of your state when you were 16 then congratulations. What the hell man!? You call me an idiot. OK. You don't know my level of education, my IQ score, or anything about me for that matter. I came here to get advice on what to do about my licensing dilemma and to see what options are available if any. All you have to offer are judgments and no real advice. I'm not interested in getting into arguments and being forced to defend myself. Information is all I need.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hey cyjeff, what is your problem pal? Were you a perfect child? There is plenty of literature out there you can read that will tell you all about how kids are incapable of considering the future impact of their decision making. Plus, you make it sound like what I did was really bad or something. I'm not saying the system shouldn't prosecute minors. What I'm saying is, the punishment should fit the crime. We're talking about a penalty that will effect someone for several years over a kid drinking some beer. Lame. You wrote that ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you knew all the laws of your state when you were 16 then congratulations. What the hell man!? You call me an idiot. OK. You don't know my level of education, my IQ score, or anything about me for that matter. I came here to get advice on what to do about my licensing dilemma and to see what options are available if any. All you have to offer are judgments and no real advice. I'm not interested in getting into arguments and being forced to defend myself. Information is all I need.
You were already told what to do. Pay what you owe :rolleyes:

The Occultist

The penalty didn't start off that bad, you're the one who made it worse. Please stop misdirecting your anger.

cyjeff

Hey cyjeff, what is your problem pal? Were you a perfect child?
If that means "did I stagger drunkenly down a street, get picked up by the police, ignore my fines and then drive in direct violation of my probation", the answer is no.

Of course, most folks can't say that either.

There is plenty of literature out there you can read that will tell you all about how kids are incapable of considering the future impact of their decision making.
That makes it, what, four excuses as to why your present situation isn't your fault.

Believe it or not, most kids know not to get drunk and stagger down the street.

Plus, you make it sound like what I did was really bad or something. I'm not saying the system shouldn't prosecute minors. What I'm saying is, the punishment should fit the crime.
It does. I am not saying you should be shot at sunrise or even imprisoned. Just pay your fine.

We're talking about a penalty that will effect someone for several years over a kid drinking some beer.
Crimes will do that. Are you saying you didn't know drinking at that age was illegal?

Lame. You wrote that ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you knew all the laws of your state when you were 16 then congratulations.
Of course I didn't. I did know drinking was illegal, however. Are you saying you didn't?

What the hell man!? You call me an idiot. OK. You don't know my level of education, my IQ score, or anything about me for that matter.
Except you keep saying how you didn't know, and couldn't know, and shouldn't know and shouldn't be held accountable.

I know you are a whiny baby that has let his stupid pride and sense of self righteousness cost him three grand. How's that?

I came here to get advice on what to do about my licensing dilemma and to see what options are available if any.
Which I told you.

All you have to offer are judgments and no real advice. I'm not interested in getting into arguments and being forced to defend myself. Information is all I need.
Then you are REALLY going to hate court.

Feel like I was kind of screwed out of the starting gate on this one.
Yeah? How's that? Because you chose to break the law by MIP, then you chose to not comply with a court order, then you chose to drive illegally?

Sounds to me like you were a moron out of the starting gate on this one.

You don't know my level of education, my IQ score, or anything about me for that matter
I'm guessing GED or 'scraped by', that three digits would be optimistic, and that you've got a problem with alcohol.

Then again, I hear all the kids at Juilliard have MIPs, so perhaps you're a child prodigy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NRH81

Is this site all about some of the frequent users ganging up on people and passing judgment in order to feel superior? I was under the impression that this site was set up to ask intelligent individuals for ideas and advice on legal matters. Not to be told how much you suck. If I wanted that, I would go fight with people on youtube or something. If you don't agree with me on something, fine. However, spitting out insults is not the best way to convey your message. I know I'll probably have to pay the fines. If there is an option available that will reduce the fines so I can put all the crap behind me more quickly, than naturally I'm going to go that way. If not, than so be it. For the insulting, name calling, and ultra judgmental people...I could give less of a damn what you think. Go f**k yourselves.

cyjeff

Feel better? Good.

It doesn't change the fact that you had an opportunity to reduce the fines and ignored it. That means that most other options for your case have closed.

Not our fault. Yours.

You may have a chance at some leniency if you drop the attitude and start off in court like a person that actually has some remorse about what has happened.

Not that it was bad law. Not that you shouldn't have to pay. Not that the law is stupid.

That you have remorse about your situation. Anything else, and the judge will throw the max at you PLUS court fees PLUS any thing else that he/she can come up with up to and including suspension of your license for an additional period.

I strongly recommend against airing ANY of these opinions in court. Telling a judge that you don't think the laws should apply to you is not going to end well.

If you would have said HALF of this stuff in open court, the judge would have slammed you down so hard you would have thought you murdered his/her dog.

I_Got_Banned

Is this site all about some of the frequent users ganging up on people and passing judgment in order to feel superior?
Dude, you got to understand that when you post on public forum, you're going to get some good responses and youre gonna get some bad ones. If you're honest with yourself, you'll benefit the most... Take what you can out of the experience and move on.
If you posted on here expecting to hear what you wanna hear, then go ahead and PM me with it and I'll post it for you... Just to help you out!!! But have no doubt that eventually, you will realize that the only posts that mattered were the ones you hated the most.
At times, it is difficult to take responsibility for our own actions but in reality... bottom line is we are only fooling ourselves.

Go f**k yourselves.
:eek:
Just 'cause you did, doesn't mean anyone else has to ;)

Hey, you deserved that one for talking smack! :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">