• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fatal Auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wannago2hi

What is the name of your state? Washington

My son was driving and was involved in an auto accident. They are going under the assumption that he was at fault because of his skid marks over the yellow lane on a corner. He doesn't remember the accident and his passenger was killed.

The other vehicle had no insurance and made a statement that my son was in the other lane coming around the corner when they swerved to his lane and then my son swerved back into his lane resulting in the accident.

This is all under investigation but aren't the other vehicle responsible for being on the road with no insurance?

Thank you

HomeGuru

wannago2hi said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My son was driving and was involved in an auto accident. They are going under the assumption that he was at fault because of his skid marks over the yellow lane on a corner. He doesn't remember the accident and his passenger was killed.

The other vehicle had no insurance and made a statement that my son was in the other lane coming around the corner when they swerved to his lane and then my son swerved back into his lane resulting in the accident.

This is all under investigation but aren't the other vehicle responsible for being on the road with no insurance?

Thank you
**A: would this be the same son that only has a permit? And why does your son not remember the accident?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Insurance, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with negligence or the cause of the accident. Insurance is only for financial responsibility IN THE EVENT of one's own negligence - - but the lack of it doesn't "make" you negligent.

I hope your son had lots of coverage.

IAAL

W

wannago2hi

Re: Re: Fatal Auto

No....my son has had his driver's license for over a year. We have 50/100,000 coverage on the car.

Not enough for what we are going through.

Who knows why he doesn't remember, the trauma of the accident or it could be the result of his head injury, broken femur, shattered knee cap, cuts on his arm, legs and he was scalped.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Fatal Auto

wannago2hi said:
No....my son has had his driver's license for over a year. We have 50/100,000 coverage on the car.

Not enough for what we are going through.

Who knows why he doesn't remember, the trauma of the accident or it could be the result of his head injury, broken femur, shattered knee cap, cuts on his arm, legs and he was scalped.

My response:

From your description of the mechanics of how the accident occurred, it would seem that no one in "their right mind" would be driving in that manner; e.g., your son was probably intoxicated or impaired by drugs or a combination thereof.

Also, from your description of his injuries, it would also appear that your son was not wearing his seat and shoulder restraints.

These two failures are a prescription for a severe accident and severe injuries.

I would agree with you that the $100,000.00 is not going to be nearly enough coverage for all of the injured persons, and for the dead person's family.

Your son may be in deeper poo-poo than he thinks, or you think.

IAAL

W

wannago2hi

Re: Re: Fatal Auto

My son was not drinking or had any drugs in his system He was wearing his seatbelt and so was his passenger.

There are alot of things that don't make sense about this accident. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor either. The impact was on the driver's side of our car and the passenger side of the other vehicle yet my son's right side is what is damaged and his passenger was killed with a head injury.

My son took his driving very seriously and so did his passenger so I don't believe they just were swerving around the road and being careless or not paying attention.

There was no radio in the car so there should have been no distractions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Fatal Auto

wannago2hi said:
My son was not drinking or had any drugs in his system He was wearing his seatbelt and so was his passenger.

There are alot of things that don't make sense about this accident. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor either. The impact was on the driver's side of our car and the passenger side of the other vehicle yet my son's right side is what is damaged and his passenger was killed with a head injury.

My son took his driving very seriously and so did his passenger so I don't believe they just were swerving around the road and being careless or not paying attention.

There was no radio in the car so there should have been no distractions.

My response:

Yes, none of this makes any real sense. Since you weren't there, and presumably you have not yet seen the toxicological reports, you really don't know all the facts, or all the true facts - - because your description of the accident, and the severity of the injuries and death, do not jive with your recitation of the same on this forum.

For one example (and without getting into too many of the other inaccuracies) you said, "My son took his driving very seriously and so did his passenger so I don't believe they just were swerving around the road . . ." Yet, that statement doesn't square with your recitation of the accident when you initially said, " . . . because of his skid marks over the yellow lane on a corner."

Further, I believe there was excessive speed, despite the fact that you said, "Speed doesn't seem to be a factor either." This just doesn't make sense when your son suffered extremely severe injuries, and that his passenger was killed. How do you account for that?

And then, there's the seatbelt issue in relation to the types of injuries sustained. But, I'm not going to get into that because, quite simply, you weren't there to know whether or not your son and his passenger were, in fact, wearing their restraints.

However, you came here with a question concerning insurance and its relationship to negligence. Your question was answered, and when all the other facts are known in the litigation that is bound to ensue from this, I am sure that my thoughts on this matter are going to be more accurate than your beliefs at this point.

I can only hope that your name wasn't on your son's vehicle ownership title, and that your son gets better real soon and has learned a life lesson from all this.

IAAL

P.S. Get more coverage on your insurance policies! 50/100 just isn't enough! Try to obtain at least 500/500, if not more.

Last edited:
W

wannago2hi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Fatal Auto

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Thank you for answering my questions. Yes....I know for a fact that there were no drugs or alcohol in my son's system. This is a fact. Also speed was reported as not a factor according to the police.

On the seatbelt, they had injuries from the seatbelt. THey were driving a Hyundai while the other vehicle was a Suburban. You do the math. It could be that the other vehicle was driving too fast and when they hit, my son's vehicle did a 360 into a ditch.

Also yes I did say that his skid marks were over the other lane.

Questions of did he see the car in his lane and he was swerving to get out of the way or did a big animal jump out and they swerved into the other lane. The skid marks were in a side ways slide.

BUT.....

No....I will probably never understand why he went into the other lane and if he doesn't remember, we will probably never know.

Yes. I agree that insurance limit should have been more. We were just in the process of getting it changed and got the quote for it the day before the accident. What a bummer, we didn't have 20/20 vision and maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Yes....my son is a minor, 17 years old in fact so of course, my name is on the title of the car because in Washington, he can't have his name on it because he is under 18 years old.

Oh....by the way, his passenger was my fiance's son and I am emotionally and finacially ruined as a person because of this.

My son and him were not only best friend's but they were very close and never did anything without one another. My son will never be the same again. My life will never be the same again either. I have lost my family's life.

Thank you for your input of answering my questions and raising more questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">