• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father died, no will, half-sister attempting control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? FL

My father died as a resident of Florida. I have one half-sister living there. Another half-sister and I both live in Illinois. We indicated our request that we all three be co-personal representatives (PR), but the sister in Florida filed a petition with the Probate Clerk to be appointed sole PR. Since then, my sister and I in Illinois have hired an atty in FL and filed an objection pursuant to Fla. Stat. 733.303 (a PR is ineligible if they have been convicted of a felony - b/c we discovered that the Florida sister has been convicted of two). We are also petitioning to have us (the two IL sisters) appointed co-PR's.

The problems we are facing include doing probate long-distance (difficult, not impossible) and the fact that the Florida sister has taken possession of our father's leased vehicle for personal use (it needs to be returned) and has moved into his condo (which contains all of his personal possessions). I wouldn't be suprised if she has sold, destroyed, or given away of many of his possessions. So my question is: where do we stand legally in getting a true inventory of his possessions, etc. and possibly subtracting the estimated value of such from her portion of the estate?

Second question: What is the definition of lineal descendants? I need to know if intestate succession includes the children of my deceased brother. And, if so, do they get one (the deceased brother's) portion of the estate or do they share equally with my sisters and I?

I need help and advice,
Thanks much,


Senior Member
You have retained an attorney in Florida. I suggest that you put your questions to him in writing. He is the one most familar with your particular situation.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Having co-representatives is not really a good idea--it might be in your best interests to let a probate attorney handle everything for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential