• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Died with out will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California

My father died in Portland, Oregon and did not have a will. He did not have any property except 2 junker cars. He does have a bank account with less than a thousand dollars in it. As the oldest living child I have been taking care of his burial arrangements. but I need access to his account to pay for some of the funeral cost. No other family members can afford to assist me and my funds are very limited. The Bank is requesting a legal document showing I am in charge of what little property he has. I need to know what I can do and how to do it.

Thank you for any advice.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
Go to the courthouse and file to become administrator/executor of his estate and you will soon receive a document called letters testamentary which is the document the bank wants from you. While at the courthouse, find out what papers are needed for smaller estates. And also consult with a local probate attorney to find out what the procedure is for handling smaller estates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential