• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father fraudulatly became PR of my deceased husband estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Florida

My husband was killed at his place of work, on 03/14/96. I filled a lawsuit against the company and the contractors. We were to go to jury trail, but at the last minute my lawyer adviced against it, and wanted to settle outside of court. I started some of the paper work, but then changed my mind about settling out of court. He called me concerning the money he had in trust for my 3 boys, but I never got back in touch with him. So he got in touch with my father's lawyer. My dad's lawyer, his self, and I all meet one day, and we deceided to make my dad the PR of my childrens money, but NEVER SIGNED OFF FOR HIM TO BE PR OF MY HUSBAND ESTATE. I have questioned my father about the remaining money that was owed to me, but all I could get was lie after lie. Called my lawyer and he even lied about it. I have recently came across some paper work that gave my estate to my father with out my knowledge and where he sign the checks for the remaining money that was in my name. I even have a letter from one lawyer to other to stay hush-hush until after the hearing. Please help me with this matter or if I am in the wrong area of law, which area should I go.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
The fact that you never signed off does not matter much now, since you gave verbal consent. Signing off is not needed anyway, as anyone can apply to become PR.

Can you afford to get another attorney? That is exactly what you need now, to examine everthing to see exactly how and when you were ripped off. Perhaps you need a probate attorney who can also consult with a personal injury attorney to look at how your settlement and estate matters were handled. And don't just accept the first attorney you talk to--shop around with 3 or more until you find one that can do what you want.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

helpless in ind

Junior Member
Dandy Don Can you help?

Indiana Dandy Don Would you look at the thread I sent in on 8-28-05 and tell me if you agree with the reply I got back and let me know if you think I have any options left?

Dandy Don

Senior Member
HELPLESS IN IND--You have hijacked someone else's post erroneously.

Chill out about this lady being PR. The estate is still going to have to be divvied up according to state law so the court/judge is going to review everything she does to make sure it's correct. Yes, the judge wasn't thinking clearly when he appointed her, but it's really nothing to be overly worried about.

And make plans to repay the $700 you all took from the estate improperly. I know you thought it was justified but you were incorrect.

No one here can wave a magic wand to make things better, because we don't know the reasons for the delay with probate. You need to ask your current attorney to contact the administrator to find out what the possible reasons for the delay are--does this court have lots of probate cases to handle or is the PR just stalling out of spite? Find out when the next hearing is scheduled for and make sure your attorney or you or both are there.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential