• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father had rare complications from BCG treatment for cancer. any legal case?? help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my father last year was diagnosed with a bladder tumor that was cancerous. it was removed successfully but after surgery his doctor said we should start BCG treatments once a week. we did this for around 3 months. after finishing my father had serious swelling in his testicle which was found to be a large infection due to these treatments. he was in the hospital for 7 days not only to treat this infection post surgery but also because of the possible tuberculosis strain in the tissue. the doctor said its an extremely rare side effect and was like a 1 in 10,000 chance.do i have any kind of legal case against the drug manufacturer??

quincy

my father last year was diagnosed with a bladder tumor that was cancerous. it was removed successfully but after surgery his doctor said we should start BCG treatments once a week. we did this for around 3 months. after finishing my father had serious swelling in his testicle which was found to be a large infection due to these treatments. he was in the hospital for 7 days not only to treat this infection post surgery but also because of the possible tuberculosis strain in the tissue. the doctor said its an extremely rare side effect and was like a 1 in 10,000 chance.do i have any kind of legal case against the drug manufacturer??
What is the name of your state?

I am sorry to hear about your father. Was he informed of this possible rare side effect?

If the manufacturer has warned of the side effect, and your dad's doctor informed him of the side effects of the treatment, there is little likelihood that a suit against either would be successful.

Has your dad recovered?

Any lawsuit, by the way, would be filed by your father and not you.

i dont believe we were ever told about a testicle infection side effect because of the BCG leaking into his scrotum. the testicle was so badly infected it had to be removed. we spent 7 days in the hospital 3 of those days we were isolated in the room because of the possible airborne tuberculosis. and now he has to be monitored by the new york state of health everyday because of the TB possibility. they video chat him everyday to make sure hes taking the medication which is 10 pills per day.

quincy

i dont believe we were ever told about a testicle infection side effect because of the BCG leaking into his scrotum. the testicle was so badly infected it had to be removed. we spent 7 days in the hospital 3 of those days we were isolated in the room because of the possible airborne tuberculosis. and now he has to be monitored by the new york state of health everyday because of the TB possibility. they video chat him everyday to make sure hes taking the medication which is 10 pills per day.
Your father lives in New York?

Your father will need to read over all of the documents he signed prior to treatment.

He could consult with an attorney in his area if he wants to see if any legal option is available to him.

how would we obtain the documents? i believe we sign a consent before each treatment. but im almost positive the doctor (whos a great doctor that we like) never told us any side effect like this could happen. he said possible fevers and things like that after receiving treatment. but nothing long term.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
how would we obtain the documents? i believe we sign a consent before each treatment. but im almost positive the doctor (whos a great doctor that we like) never told us any side effect like this could happen. he said possible fevers and things like that after receiving treatment. but nothing long term.
Do you have conservatorship of some sort over your father?

No i dont im his son with him every step of the way. And been to every single doctor appt,treatment and hospital stay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No i dont im his son with him every step of the way. And been to every single doctor appt,treatment and hospital stay.
I understand - and that's admirable. I only asked because of your continued use of the word "we" when referring to signing forms, etc.

quincy

I skimmed quickly the drug manufacturer warnings and it appears that the rare side effect your father experienced is listed in the information provided.

You can have your father speak to an attorney for a personal review of BCG's history of complications, however.

I wish your father good luck.

I completely understand and ive confused a few people by saying we. But this is our fight together so i say we alot. I guess im considered his caregiver

quincy

I completely understand and ive confused a few people by saying we. But this is our fight together so i say we alot. I guess im considered his caregiver
Your father is very lucky to have you with him and looking out for his best interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">