• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father has relocated without courts permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stylnoelle

I have been going through the legal process in to be allowed to relocate with the children for a job. I spoke to the father about it and he was encouraging me to relocate for the job. Two days later my attorney contacts me with news that he was objecting my move and threatening to get a change of custody. We were about to go to court and his attorney gets the date thrown out because he has other cases. His attorney motioned for us to go to mediation. While waiting for this mediation, I have lost the job (so now I am unemployed and looking). He and his wife has now relocated to another state without us resolving this in court. Can he do that? He is suppose to notify me and has not? I learned of the move from the children. He has been trying to take my children. He tells them that when they turn 12yr. old that they can decide whom they want to live with. It seems that all of the rights are for the noncustodial parent. What rights do I have?

Isis1

I have been going through the legal process in to be allowed to relocate with the children for a job. I spoke to the father about it and he was encouraging me to relocate for the job. Two days later my attorney contacts me with news that he was objecting my move and threatening to get a change of custody. We were about to go to court and his attorney gets the date thrown out because he has other cases. His attorney motioned for us to go to mediation. While waiting for this mediation, I have lost the job (so now I am unemployed and looking). He and his wife has now relocated to another state without us resolving this in court. Can he do that? He is suppose to notify me and has not? I learned of the move from the children. He has been trying to take my children. He tells them that when they turn 12yr. old that they can decide whom they want to live with. It seems that all of the rights are for the noncustodial parent. What rights do I have?
thank you so much for starting your own thread.

dad doesn't have to notify you as he is the NCP. the CP's are always held at a higher standard. unless a court order specifies so.

dad seems to have had a plan up his sleeve. he fights for custody, gets custody based on you leaving out of state, then moves out of state with the kids himself. i'm not allowed to say on this forum what POS he is for that, so i digress.

dad lied to the kids, or he is mis-informed as it seems a vast amount of people who come to this board usually are. no child gets to decide where they want to live. ever. an adult (when they turn 18 gets to decide. no if's and's or butts.

haiku

children who are party to a court order are not allowed to move out of jurisdiction without permission of the non custodial parent and/or the courts permission per your states court order.

parents can move anywhere they like.

Stylnoelle

Father has relocated without court permission

We have an order that states that we should notify each other of a move/relocation/address change. I have not been notified of anything. I don't even know where he is staying right now. He gets weekend visitation (as it has not been modified b/c of the move). He has been telling people that he has been recording me over the phone. He is on wife #3. He has taken me to court more times than any since being married to her (Granted our youngest child is 4). Is there not any rights for the custodial parent? I am wasting money on constantly paying an attorney for each little thing that he decides to take me to court over (which he doesn't even win). I could be spending that money on caring for our children.

haiku

We have an order that states that we should notify each other of a move/relocation/address change.what does it say EXACTLY. get it out and read it I have not been notified of anything. I don't even know where he is staying right now. yet,you know he moved He gets weekend visitation (as it has not been modified b/c of the move).and he will continue to get it, until someone decides to go to court and modify it He has been telling people that he has been recording me over the phone. so. He is on wife #3. so.... He has taken me to court more times than any since being married to her (Granted our youngest child is 4). again,so.... Is there not any rights for the custodial parent?what "rights"do you think you are missing? I am wasting money on constantly paying an attorney for each little thing that he decides to take me to court over (which he doesn't even win). I could be spending that money on caring for our children.welcome to the world of divorced parenting.

Last edited:

OhReally?

We have an order that states that we should notify each other of a move/relocation/address change. I have not been notified of anything. I don't even know where he is staying right now.
Umm...Ok...so? All parents must notify the other parent of a move. Key word is "notify". That does not mean he needs your permission.

He gets weekend visitation (as it has not been modified b/c of the move).
And until that order is modified, the transportation arrangements remain the same. So, if he wants to see his kids, then he's going to have to commute to the address on record.

He has been telling people that he has been recording me over the phone. He is on wife #3. He has taken me to court more times than any since being married to her (Granted our youngest child is 4).
So? So? And so?
Is there not any rights for the custodial parent?
Yes...your order.

I am wasting money on constantly paying an attorney for each little thing that he decides to take me to court over (which he doesn't even win). I could be spending that money on caring for our children.
Your attorney should be asking the court for attorney's fees to be paid by him each and every time. Obviously s/he is not doing that. In addition to sanctions for filing frivolous suits, if that's the case as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">