• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father-in-law rang up bills using sons social sec.# and they have the same name..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?ID

My sister-in-law has a problem; Her and her husband, 2 years ago filed for bankruptcy and are trying to work on improving their credit, however now they recently found out that her husbands father rang up a bunch of medical bills that are now on her husbands credit report. Her husband and her father-in-law have the same name, and the father-in-law knows his sons social security number and used it when running up these bills. They don't know how to prove that these are not his bills. They live in the same city and state, the address the collection agencys have is the father-in-laws po box address. That is basically the only thing that is different to show that it's not his bill, but they don't think that is enough proof.
The father-in-law is an old drunk man who has no worries or cares, so talking to him is not possible. They are willing to sue him to get this off their report they just don't know how or if they would win because of lack of proof.
I was thinking that maybe at the time of admission in the hospitol that he would have had to show ID and if he did it would be a different ID number than his sons, but I don't know if that is possible to get a hold of and if it's enough proof.

What can they do? Should they dispute the charge and force them to prove that he owe the debt? but what is enough proof for the agency's? Social sec. # and name?? Oh and the father can also sign his sons name, so different signitures is out.......they really don't want to be stuck with these bills, they add up to more than $35000. And they already filed bankruptcy.....

Any advice would be great.


Senior Member
They need to get something from the medical facility that provided the services. The FIL may have the same name, sign his son's name and illegally use his SSN for ID theft, but they do not LOOK the same, nor are they the same age ! The physical characteristics in the medical records would be more than adequate to prove that these bills were NOT incurred by the son.

The father has committed identity theft, at the very least and they need to pursue it that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential