• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father is Now Self-Employed & Has Not Paid Child Support since 8/9/19 What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlackHoney216

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Is there anything I can do or should do? Is there anything he should be doing? The child support website itself only shows last month's past due that he hasn't paid. Is it possible that he had it "paused"? Could he do this without notifying me?

LdiJ

Is there anything I can do or should do? Is there anything he should be doing? The child support website itself only shows last month's past due that he hasn't paid. Is it possible that he had it "paused"? Could he do this without notifying me?
No, he cannot have it "paused" without a hearing that you would have to know about and be served. However, when someone is self employed there is no way to garnish their wages for the support, so it's much more difficult to collect. In some states regular contractor payments can be garnished, but its a complicated process and I am not sure it applies to Ohio..

Basically dad needs to be taken to court for contempt for not paying, The child support agency may be able to help you with that.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Then he is accruing debt in the form of arrears. You don't have to do anything. Once he's gone without paying for a while and the arrears accrue enough, the state agency will gradually take action.

It's only been a month.

He can enjoy all sorts of surprises eventually. No doubt he'll complain if his license is suspended, or his bank account is frozen, or his tax refund is redirected to pay child support arrears...

Last edited:

LdiJ

Then he accruing debt in the form of arrears. You don't have to do anything. Once he's gone without paying for a while and the arrears accrue enough, the state agency will gradually take action.

It's only been a month.

He can enjoy all sorts of surprises eventually. No doubt he'll complain if his license is suspended, or his bank account is frozen, or his tax refund is redirected to pay child support arrears...
If he is self employed now a tax refund is pretty unlikely. However, I agree that its only been a month. He might not have any income yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">