• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father No Longer Involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grinchmas

What is the name of your state?FLFlorida

My daughter is 12 1/2 years old. Her father and I seperated before she was born....I was barely pregnant. My current husband of 10 years was in the delivery room when she was born and in her eyes is daddy. My ex husband would come visit about once a year or I would take her up to visit...he is out of state. Through the years they have never been very close because he drives my daughter crazy. He buys her trucks and boy items for birthdays etc and never really has shown any interest in anything she does. When he does see her he spends the time saying things like get your dad a drink and here is my dinner plate...etc. A visitation schedule was set when she was a year old but has never been followed...it has always been however long she wanted to stay was ok. ANyway in the last year he has stopped calling all together...missed birthday and all the holidays and has not sent child support in over a year. She is not aware about the child support part. Anyway, she does not want to see him and has talked about changing her last name(she has his). I have told her she should wait until she is 18 and we will pay for it if she still wants to.

Basically,
If I were to take this to court to push the child support issue would she then have to start seeing him again if he demanded it?

If she really wants to change her name now is she allowed to?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If there is court-ordered visitation and the NCP wants to see the child, then she has no choice in the matter. Yes, he may beging enforcing it if you enforce the support.

As for the name, he would need to be notified and give his consent.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
If there is court-ordered visitation and the NCP wants to see the child, then she has no choice in the matter. Yes, he may beging enforcing it if you enforce the support.

As for the name, he would need to be notified and give his consent.
But his consent won't be necessary after age 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">