• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father passed don't know if 2014 taxes have been filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan if relevant

so, I need some help again.

My father passed just recently. Probate has not been opened yet but will be presumably shortly but not certain how soon.

my concern:

obviously we are near to the tax filing deadline. I have no idea if my father filed his taxes for last year (he has been in failing health and it may have slipped his mind). Is there anyway to verify if he has so that can be dealt with before the deadline is here?

and along the same line: I presume he and maybe his estate ( I just don't know enough about this stuff yet so I really don't know for sure) has to file a 2015 return. Can his personal return be done now rather than waiting until next year? I know, there will be an attorney involved with the estate but this helps me know what may have to be dealt with very quickly as opposed to a bit more leisurely.

thanks

Proserpina

Michigan if relevant

My father passed just recently. Probate has not been opened yet but will be presumably shortly but not certain how soon.

my concern:

obviously we are near to the tax filing deadline. I have no idea if my father filed his taxes for last year (he has been in failing health and it may have slipped his mind). Is there anyway to verify if he has so that can be dealt with before the deadline is here?

and along the same line: I presume he and maybe his estate ( I just don't know enough about this stuff yet so I really don't know for sure) has to file a 2015 return. Can his personal return be done now rather than waiting until next year? I know, there will be an attorney involved with the estate but this helps me know what may have to be dealt with very quickly as opposed to a bit more leisurely.

thanks

I have no answers, but just wanted to send you a cyber hug. I'm sorry for your loss hon :(

quincy

Like Proserpina, I have no answer to your tax question, justalayman, but I wanted to let you know how very sorry I am to hear of your father's death. My thoughts and sympathy are with you and your family.

(your private message box is full)

LdiJ

Michigan if relevant

my concern:

thanks
Do you know who would have been preparing his taxes? If so, or if you can find out by looking through his files, then you can call them, explain the situation and ask if they have been filed.

If not, the only official way that you can find out is to have someone appointed as executor or administrator of the estate, and have them contact the IRS to find out.

Of course, there is an unofficial way to find out, and that is by attempting to file an extension for him electronically. If an extension has already been filed you will get a reject saying so, and if a tax return was already filed, you will also get a reject saying so as well.

justalayman

Along those lines isn't there someplace you call or check online to see if your return has been processed. It seems like I have done this in the past when trying to figure out when my refund was coming.

And I thought when you file for an extension you have to still pay whatever you calculate you will likely owe. Given he has cashed in several cd's and possibly some pretax funded investments it could be substantial but since this just happened we haven't had time to do much checking yet.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Along those lines isn't there someplace you call or check online to see if your return has been processed. It seems like I have done this in the past when trying to figure out when my refund was coming.

And I thought when you file for an extension you have to still pay whatever you calculate you will likely owe. Given he has cashed in several cd's and possibly some pretax funded investments it could be substantial but since this just happened we haven't had time to do much checking yet.
That won't work unless he is getting a refund and they already know the amount of the refund. The three elements you have to provide in order to check status is SSN, filing status and amount of refund expected. If you cannot give those three elements you won't get any information. There is no place to check on the general status of a return...only of a refund.

Also, you do not have to pay any money with the extension if you then end up filing by the tax deadline. So, if you file the extension and its accepted, then you would know his return was not filed and you could go ahead and get it done on time.

Unfortunately, you would not be able to file his 2015 tax return until next year. However, you could rough out how much he might owe, so that you have an idea how much cash to hold back to pay any taxes due.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Hardest thing I ever lived through was losing my Dad: justalayman, you have my sincere sympathy. Take good care of yourself, along with all of your duties.

davew128

The answer to your other question is no you have to wait until 2016 to file a 2015 individual return even if they died early in the year.

LdiJ

Hardest thing I ever lived through was losing my Dad: justalayman, you have my sincere sympathy. Take good care of yourself, along with all of your duties.
It was tough for me too so he has my sincere sympathy as well. I think however, that its going to be much worse when we lose mom. Then we will be orphans.

justalayman

thanks to those that answered the question and a special thanks to all that expressed their sympathy. It's a real bitch but at least he is free from all the medical issues that have been making him miserable for the last couple of years. On top of that my little brother died 2 years ago at the age of 51. Dad never really got over that. It was downhill ever since that.

again, thanks to all.

and a note: I lost my mom about 26 years ago when she was 56. Dad made it to 9 days from his 90th.

Last edited:

LdiJ

thanks to those that answered the question and a special thanks to all that expressed their sympathy. It's a real bitch but at least he is free from all the medical issues that have been making him miserable for the last couple of years. On top of that my little brother died 2 years ago at the age of 51. Dad never really got over that. It was downhill ever since that.

again, thanks to all.

and a note: I lost my mom about 26 years ago when she was 56. Dad made it to 9 days from his 90th.
Wow...condolences on losing your brother as well. It must have been really hard for your dad to outlive one of his children.

justalayman

Wow...condolences on losing your brother as well. It must have been really hard for your dad to outlive one of his children.
thank you.

It definitely took it's toll on him. I have not seen my dad cry much about anything but when speaking of my brother it was common.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">