• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father's Day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jyoung

Although I didn't have the greatest or coolest or richest Dad, now that I've gotten to be a Dad myself I have learned
that I am far better off a person for the gift of having one who cared, who worked hard to support his family, who gave me limits but encouraged me to push them. These thoughts are especially important in light of the situations many of the posters to this board and others find themselves in, including myself.

I find myself in the fight of my life, simply for making my best attempts to maintain my presence in my nine year old child's life. Realizing everyones situation is unique and has it's own circumstances, I still will never understand how any woman can rationalize denial of a child's time and life with a father who chooses to be involved.

I know there are some biological dad's out there who are causing similar grief to the mom's as well. And many more former kids did not have the luxury of two parents who cared; but the truth is, if you have a child and are one of the parents who are causing a problem or refusing out of spite to fix the problem, think of the kid. Please. What you gain in the short run in terms of satisfaction in showing the ex who's boss is sure to come back to hurt, most likely the child who you think you are helping.

My dad right now is in the battle of his life, with cancer.
Believe me, even at 72 years old he is thinking how short and sweet life really is. Don't deny your kids a minute of it.

Happy Father's Day Dad!!!

G

Grandma B

And you, young man, I hereby nominate for "Dad of the Year" not only for trying valiantly to be a large part of your daughter's life, but also for everything "mommie dearest" has been putting you through.

janM

I agree with you, GrandmaB. He and countless other Dads who are proving that they can be just as "nurturing" as the Moms can be (of course apparently there are exceptions on both sides).
Tomorrow I will be thinking of my own dad, who we lost in 1999 at age 83. His whole world was his family, then his grandkids and great-grandkids. I will also be sharing Father's Day with my son, who if all goes well will have temporary custody of his little boy at the beginning of next month, who he welcomed into the world before his 18th birthday but has always done his best to support the boy even when Mom wasn't either willing or able to (he has been living with Dad for about 6 weeks now).
It's true that you don't appreciate your own parents until you are one yourself.
Have a great day tomorrow, guys, whether you are with your kids or not. I know you are in each other's thoughts and hearts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">