• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justme17

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My father has just passed away. We found out that he named his ex-wife as the sole beneficiary of his life insurance. Is there a way to constest this matter when we have proof thru an email that he was planning on changing it? She wanted no part in the funeral arrangments, so the next of kin had to take care of them. Also, we found papers in his things indicating he may of had a chemical imbalance. Is there anything we can do?

somarco

The carrier is obligated by contract to pay the designated beneficiary, regardless of whatever changes may have been intended. If you can prove he was mentally incapable of making proper choices when he named the ex as beneficiary, you may have reason to challenge the policy provisions.

When was the policy taken out? Who was the original beneficiary? Was there a beneficiary change after the policy was applied for? If so, when and was that change to the ex?

Justme17

My father had this insurance for over 30 years at his current job. He named my mother as bene until they were divorced and then my sister and I were named. His second wife and him were only married for about 5 years and were divorced in 2001. If we cant challange the insurance company can we challange the bene?

BelizeBreeze

Justme17 said:
My father had this insurance for over 30 years at his current job. He named my mother as bene until they were divorced and then my sister and I were named. His second wife and him were only married for about 5 years and were divorced in 2001. If we cant challange the insurance company can we challange the bene?
O.K. so you forgot to tell us IF AND WHEN the beneficiary was changed from you and your sister to the ex.

Justme17

Also, she had told us previously that she claimed bankruptsy before we found out about the insurance...can she relinquish her rights?

BelizeBreeze

O.K. finally. If the ex was already the ex, there's not much you can do about it UNLESS you can prove that your father was of diminished capacity and the change of beneficiary was based on fraud or undue influence.

Justme17

Ok thank you so much for your help. I was assuming he just changed it, but the insurance reps said they couldnt tell me. Ill have to look more into that then. Also, what about relinquishing her rights?

BelizeBreeze

Justme17 said:
Ok thank you so much for your help. I was assuming he just changed it, but the insurance reps said they couldnt tell me. Ill have to look more into that then. Also, what about relinquishing her rights?
If she is that stupid then sure, the insurance proceeds will go to the estate unless a secondary beneficiary is named.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">