• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers' rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stepmother1

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

I have been reading all the posts but don't see much on couples that have never been married. My husband has a child and has been supporting for 7 years. They (him and baby momma) have an agreement to share in finances but after 7 years has past she wants to sue for child support. We have been told he may have to pay back child support if though he has been supporting all these years. Anyone have any suggestions?

leech

Hello, well my boyfriend and the mother of his children had a verbal agreement also. Unfortunately it doesnt matter. Even if he has checks as proof, anything done outside of the court system is considered a "gift" AND he now has to pay 22,000 in backpay, even though they had an agreement.

Maybe a Laywer in family law 'Johnny Cochran' status can help you out otherwise Im not sure. Good Luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
"Normally" back support is only awarded back to the filing date, although some states allow it back for about 4 years. Very rarely (as far as I know) will a court award it back to birth. Hopefully, your husband can show that he has been supporting the child. He should really be represented by an attorney.

S

stepmother1

leech,
Does your boyfriend have an type of legal visitation or joint custody?

leech

stepmother1 said:
leech,
Does your boyfriend have an type of legal visitation or joint custody?
Yes he has joint custody NOW, which he had to fight for. The agreement they had went to pieces and none of it could be proven.

And his monthly payments have decreased due to the joint custody but his "backpay" is incorporated into the monthly fees.

And find out about what Stealth2 said...about it only being allowed to go back to about 4 years...that would help you Im sure. Good LUck.

S

stepmother1

Leech do you have any tip on joint custody. We only want what is best for child. She has always been a problem if she is happy than everything is good. You know maybe all of this coming to a head is a good thing. Now everyone has to comply by someone elses rule other than hers. My husband didn't walk away like so many other fathers and just seems like he is being punished for it. I grew up without a father and cherish the father/son relationship that they have just don't understand her reasoning. We are in the process of getting legal representation. He only wants to raise his son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">