• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fathers rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjade

What is the name of your state? OR
I have just learned that the father of my child is not on the birth certificate. That he had retracted the paternity affividait that he signed in the hospital. My question's are:
1. does paternity now need to be established?
2. if his name is not on the birth certificate does he have any rights to my child?
3. can child support be established without allowing visitation.

He has never seen the child except once after birth. The baby is now 8 months old.

Zephyr

1. does paternity now need to be established?

yes

2. if his name is not on the birth certificate does he have any rights to my child?

no

3. can child support be established without allowing visitation.

yes, support and visitation are seperate issues, he needs to request visitation, if he does request it, he'll most likely get it

mjade

Can paternity be established without then requestion child support. I am afraid that he will harm my child like he has done so to his other daughter. I know if I ask for support he will ask for visitation. He only wants to see the child if has to pay otherwise he wishes to remian out of her life.

brisgirl825

If wishes to see the child, he can go to court, ask for a paternity test, and visitation. He does not have to wait for you to file for CS first.

LdiJ

mjade said:
Can paternity be established without then requestion child support. I am afraid that he will harm my child like he has done so to his other daughter. I know if I ask for support he will ask for visitation. He only wants to see the child if has to pay otherwise he wishes to remian out of her life.
Do you really need the child support? If you don't, then perhaps it would be safer for your child not to file for CS.

mjade

No I don't need the support. I just want paternity established. If I choose not to have paternity established at this time, do I always have the right to request paternity?

brisgirl825

Yes, you can until the child reaches 18. If you ever go on state aid, they will require you to name the father and they can choose to persue him for paternity testing and reimbursement for aid. Some states will go only go after the absent parent if you're on cash assistance and others will get support no matter what kind of assistance the child is receiving.

L

legalcuriosity

mjade said:
Can paternity be established without then requestion child support. I am afraid that he will harm my child like he has done so to his other daughter.
You need to actually prove that.

I know if I ask for support he will ask for visitation. He only wants to see the child if has to pay otherwise he wishes to remian out of her life.
Umm...so? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">