• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FBI Property Seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Souix

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I just returned from viewing a property my office will be listing that is 105 acres in a very nice secluded setting. The property was seized in a drug raid when it was determined that the owner was conducting a major marijuana grow operation in one of the outbuildings (discovered by neighbor when they realized someone was stealing their power).

My office was contacted by the FBI to get this property ready for the open market, so lots of things have to be done like cleanup, yard work and the tremendous amount of fun finding hidden grow rooms thru false doors and burried treasure.

My question is, what rights does the family have to this property? Is it the US Marshall that takes control and has the authority to transfer title in cases like this?

H

hexeliebe

The family has the same right as anyone else in this matter, they can make an offer for the land. The government will offer the deed once the sale is complete.

GAWD, I LOVE THIS COUNTRY! :D

HomeGuru

Souix said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

I just returned from viewing a property my office will be listing that is 105 acres in a very nice secluded setting. The property was seized in a drug raid when it was determined that the owner was conducting a major marijuana grow operation in one of the outbuildings (discovered by neighbor when they realized someone was stealing their power).

My office was contacted by the FBI to get this property ready for the open market, so lots of things have to be done like cleanup, yard work and the tremendous amount of fun finding hidden grow rooms thru false doors and burried treasure.

My question is, what rights does the family have to this property?

**A: hard to tell but State and Federal forfeiture laws allow the taking. The property owner can file a lawsuit.

Is it the US Marshall that takes control and has the authority to transfer title in cases like this?

**A: yes, that would be one of the Federal agencies that has the power to do so.

Souix

hexeliebe said:
The family has the same right as anyone else in this matter, they can make an offer for the land. The government will offer the deed once the sale is complete.

GAWD, I LOVE THIS COUNTRY! :D

***What I meant was why doesn't it pass to a family member to dispose of the property. Why can't a family member offer the deed once the sale is complete? I'm sure anyone can buy it, that wasn't my point. For instance if this had happened to my brother or something, I would want to make sure that I was in control of his property while he is in prison, like having Power of Attorney.****

H

hexeliebe

Because the property was Seized. The government has possession of it now. As HG told you, the family can sue for recovery but it's a snowball's chance in hell.

Souix

hexeliebe said:
Because the property was Seized. The government has possession of it now. As HG told you, the family can sue for recovery but it's a snowball's chance in hell.

***Yes I know what HG told me, I was quoting you not him.***

H

hexeliebe

I know, that's why I answered the way I did. The family has no rights to the property, even if they were on the deed. The property was used in the commission of a crime and therefor can be seized. The family has only the right to sue for return of the property.

And that's their only right. There is no such thing as giving them possession because someone used it for illegal purposes. The property is gone. Period.

Souix

hexeliebe said:
I know, that's why I answered the way I did. The family has no rights to the property, even if they were on the deed. The property was used in the commission of a crime and therefor can be seized. The family has only the right to sue for return of the property.

And that's their only right. There is no such thing as giving them possession because someone used it for illegal purposes. The property is gone. Period.

***Ok, thank you.....but your first answer inspired the word "Duh" in me.***

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Depends on the property. If you are listing the property the government agency will have guidelines on what the offering price should be.

But you'll probably have a few offers above the asking price.

I got my car, fully restored, for $4,500 and it books out at $19,500

H

hexeliebe

Damn man, you should be hanging out with IAAL...I can see it now, Cowboy drive-by shooting in a lowrider getaway car....

Details at 11

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">