• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fed Ex uninsured shipment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jazzbox

Fed Ex changed the destination address on a shipment I sent, and delivered it to a different city and delivery was supposedly signed for. 2 Lines across the signature space. But I did not have insurance on the shipment. Fed Ex could not explain why the destination address was changed. Now they say to just file a claim

Jazzbox

The value of the item was $2000.00, the default Insurance is $100.00 + shipping. It was a sale done through EBay, and the shipping label was done through the ebay site. Problem was there is a box to check if you want insurance. The same page shows value of item and I thought the Insurance feature was automatic and never saw the check box. So item shipped without the insurance. My question was more regarding the responsibilty of Fed Ex arbitrarily changing the destination address. They delivered it and got a signature supposedly. But I never requested a change.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The responsibility is what is specified in your contract. I'm not going to delve in to it, but I suspect $100 is what you're due.

What US state did you ship from?

LdiJ

The value of the item was $2000.00, the default Insurance is $100.00 + shipping. It was a sale done through EBay, and the shipping label was done through the ebay site. Problem was there is a box to check if you want insurance. The same page shows value of item and I thought the Insurance feature was automatic and never saw the check box. So item shipped without the insurance. My question was more regarding the responsibilty of Fed Ex arbitrarily changing the destination address. They delivered it and got a signature supposedly. But I never requested a change.
Fed Ex ought to at least try to retrieve the package.

Dandy Don

Look at any messages you may have (should have) received from ebay about this shipment--usually when the package has shipped they will send you a message confirming that delivery has been accomplished and there will also be a tracking number. If I were you I would first file a complaint through ebay about this delivery and you may get a clearer idea of what has happened. If you are not sure whether the item was sent to the correct party, mention that in your complaint. See if ebay will ask whoever received the item to return it. If you are not satisfied with the way they resolve the matter, then file a claim with FedEx.

Dandy Don

Do you have proof that it was FedEx who changed the delivery address or are you just assuming that they did it?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
OP stated CA in post #6
Thanks. I vaguely thought I'd read CA, but thought perhaps I was misassuming.

I can see the point in going to the delivery address and trying to ask the person who signed for it if it's nearby. (In a similar situation with a different delivery service, that was what solved my problem. But it was only one street away.)

If the other city is a few hours away, I'd hesitate to drive blindly there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">