• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fed up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I work for a steel mill in N.J. Im a good worker and been employed for over 11yrs in the company.For the past 2 years the company has been going threw a change over in management.It seems that there is absolutely no respect and consideration for the production people.When ever there is a enviromental or phisical issue brought to there attention they basically have one standard answer and that is if you dont like it here then quit.The company plays with our paychecks and tells us we have to work on our schedualed days off less than 24hr notice.They give us personal days where we have to give them at least 2 to 3 weeks notice and if its not important enough to them they wont give it to us . We work a twelve hr a day shift and if we get a personal day they only pay us 8 hrs.I can go on and on but I guess what I want to know is if I take them up on there advise on quiting do I have a law suit against them for treating us or me so bad and making it embarable to work for them any more.Many people are waiting for a solution please answer.THANK YOU.



First of all, DON'T QUIT!!! Just hang in there. Quitting really won't help you, and may well hurt you and the others.

Rather, you all have a choice to make. You can certainly make a complaint to the state anti-discrimination agency (in California it is called the Department of Fair Employment and Housing), or to the federal version called the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Both of them will review the matter, and if they accept the case, they will attempt to resolve it for you for free.

Now, how good is either agency? Well, keep in mind they are another governmental bureaucracy. OK? Also, they typically tend to work slower, and get much less in settlement money for the plaintiffs.

That means that you and the other employees can and should consult with an employment law attorney near you. Your case may well be able to processed as a class action that would be beneficial to all production employees. Keep in mind that the vast majority of employment law cases are settled out of court.

I am assuming that you are not unionized. If you are, then you will have to go through the union steward and carefully follow all union grievance procedures.

The employer must not take any retaliatory actions towards you or the other employees as a result of your going to either the state/federal agency, or hiring an employment law attorney. If they did take some negative action towards you or the others, then that will only magnify their monetary exposure.

You should be able to find an attorney near you at attorneypages.com

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential