• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Income Tax - Filing Status/Dependents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in Ohio, but my question is specifically geared toward my federal income tax status.

I am single, never married. I have no biological children. I do, however, support a female friend and her child, as the biological father of the child has opted not to.

She does not work, and I am fully responsible for all expenses related to their survival, food, shelter, clothes, etc.

Can I file as Head of Household?

Can I claim either her, or the child as dependents?


Senior Member
For 2001-2004, if they lived there all year & you supported them, you can file HH & claim both as dependents. You cannot get the child tax credit or EIC. Starting 1/1/2005, the tax laws have changed. Barring any contradictory revenue rulings, you'll be filing single & claiming only your friend (if her income is under $3200. You won't be able to claim the boy or file as head of household because the boy is a "qualifying child" of his mother. But if mom works, she can claim earned income credit (whether you claim her as a dependent or not).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential