• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Tax Forfeit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Kentucky/Missouri/California

I am working with my state (Kentucky) on my ex and his arrears, it was dropped by Missouri because it was filed improperly. They are now talking about putting a lien on his property and have filed for his federal tax return to be forfeited. Which brings me to my question. Would a judge order a W4 to be set at Single 0 for the max income tax to be withheld in order to catch up on arrears? I'm in payroll so I have seen this happen a few times over the years I am guessing for those who have a history of not having enough withheld and having to pay a penalty.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Kentucky/Missouri/California

I am working with my state (Kentucky) on my ex and his arrears, it was dropped by Missouri because it was filed improperly. They are now talking about putting a lien on his property and have filed for his federal tax return to be forfeited. Which brings me to my question. Would a judge order a W4 to be set at Single 0 for the max income tax to be withheld in order to catch up on arrears? I'm in payroll so I have seen this happen a few times over the years I am guessing for those who have a history of not having enough withheld and having to pay a penalty.
That could be seriously overreaching on the part of a judge to order that. People are not required to have a refund. They are only required to not under withhold. You are wanting to ask the judge to order him to over withhold. He is no more likely to obey that order than he is to obey the order to pay child support.

The IRS sometimes will order an employer to withhold at a certain level, for a specific employee, but even that is pretty rare and only in very chronic cases of evading taxes.

That could be seriously overreaching on the part of a judge to order that. People are not required to have a refund. They are only required to not under withhold. You are wanting to ask the judge to order him to over withhold. He is no more likely to obey that order than he is to obey the order to pay child support.

The IRS sometimes will order an employer to withhold at a certain level, for a specific employee, but even that is pretty rare and only in very chronic cases of evading taxes.
That is what I was thinking but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">