• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees paid to a Govt. agency considered as fringe benefit- Tax deducted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PKSVS

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Through my Expense report,I had claimed reimbursement of approx $ 596 ,bifurcated as follows,to the Accounting department of my Employer.

Gas mileage for travel to local Govt. agency - $ 51
Photographs - $ 50
Fees paid by personal check to a Govt.Agency - $ 495
----------------
Total $ 595

Out of this,my Employer considered $ 545 ($ 50 - Photos + $ 495 - Fees ) as Fringe benefit , as a result my regular paystub reduced by more than $ 200 due to the tax deductions on $ 545.
The Fees of $ 495 was to United states Citizenship and immigration Serves for Travel Documents. My Accounting Department says that this is not related to Business travel and hence this is a fringe benefit and taxable.
To me I don't understand loosing more than $ 200, as I did'nt earn anything out of this expenses. These are not my wages /earnings.Why should they deduct taxes on $ 545 ? If they refuse to correct/ refund the tax deduction,can i get a refund in my Tax return if this was a wrong deduction?
Thanks

pattytx

If the travel documents were necessary ONLY because you need them for business travel, then I would say that these expenses have a legitimate business purpose and should be nontaxable. However, if you will also use them for personal purposes, or if the expenses were incurred solely for personal use, then that is a taxable fringe benefit.

Note: just so you know what I'm talking about, I have 27 years of payroll experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">