• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fell asleep & hit parked car,no insurance.suspended lic.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
I live in San Diego California and My boyfriend works construction and has to drive far to the job and he works very hard. The other morning he fell asleep and hit a parked car and it was totaled. My boyfriend drives a big silverado truck that his father helped him buy,and his fathers name is on the title also.
When the police came they ran a check on his lic. and it came back that it was suspended do to child support. He was not aware of this and had not got any letters about this or from his insurance co. But the other day he got a letter from the insurance Co. that they got his claim and they would be in contact with him. What can happen to him and if he is sued for damages is it possible for him to file bankrupcy? And if his lic. is suspended what trouble can happen from that also? We are really worried. Can they go after his father for this and if they can what can we do about it?
Last edited:


Junior Member
He is screwed due to the suspended lic. He is lucky he was arrested. His suspension will now be longer. As for damages, the other person will contact insurance and if insurance doesn't cover it, then they will come after you for the rest. You can declare BK but you will regret it later. It is better to realized that he screwed up and should not have been driving if he was sleepy and pay your debt. If some totaled your car and you needed to sue them for the money, then they declared BK and you didn't see a dime, how would you feel? As for comin after your father, I am unsure but to play it safe, run to DMV TODAY and waitin line for 5 hours and remove your boyfriend's name from the title for at least how ever long this issue will last. If you leave it in his name, then they can chase anything down.


Senior Member
Since his father's name is on the title, the other party can go after him for damages too. Since your boyfriend was unlicensed, his insurance company may not cover the damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential