• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fell down stairs @ a bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

german lass

Do you need help getting up?
NO! ( I wasn't done w/my comment! Sorry!) 7 weeks ago, I fell down the stairs @ the bank. The elevator was there, and operational, but I chose the stairs; have done this several times before. Unfortunately, I fell, and broke a bone in my rt. elbow (of course, I'm rt handed!) The cast was removed recently, but I have a large amount of pain in my forearm, and am concerned about long-lasting "disability", inability to do home repairs/ maintenance, etc(I am retired, but live in the country; cut firewood, etc). Should I see a lawyer to determine if have a claim against the bank?

german lass

NO! ( I wasn't done w/my comment! Sorry!) 7 weeks ago, I fell down the stairs @ the bank. The elevator was there, and operational, but I chose the stairs; have done this several times before. Unfortunately, I fell, and broke a bone in my rt. elbow (of course, I'm rt handed!) The cast was removed recently, but I have a large amount of pain in my forearm, and am concerned about long-lasting "disability", inability to do home repairs/ maintenance, etc(I am retired, but live in the country; cut firewood, etc). Should I see a lawyer to determine if have a claim against the bank?
Do you need help getting up?
no

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that it happened at the bank does not automatically make the bank liable. What condition was present/not present that you believe caused you to fall and for which the bank should have prevented?

PayrollHRGuy

As @cbg has stated just because you fell at a business, in this case a bank, doesn't mean the bank is at fault. But yes, you should consult an attorney.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Should I see a lawyer to determine if have a claim against the bank?
In order for the bank to be liable for your fall it must have been negligent in some manner. For example, if one of the stairs broke when you stepped on it and that caused your fall and the bank employees knew or should have known that the stair was defective and didn't get it fixed and failed to warn of the condition then the bank would be liable for that. So what caused your fall? Was there some defect or hazardous condition present that resulted in your fall? If the answer is no and you just fell due to lack of your own care in walking down the stairs then the bank is not liable for that. If there was some kind of hazardous condition present and you fell because of it then you may want to see a personal injury lawyer about it.

Last edited:

zddoodah

Should I see a lawyer to determine if have a claim against the bank?
There's no downside to doing so (except that it may be a waste of your and the lawyer's time). Is there some reason why you think the bank might be liable? Do you believe the fall occurred for any reason other than your own clumsiness?

FYI, the bank almost certainly has insurance coverage that will pay some amount (maybe $5-10k) for medical expenses regardless of legal liability. You can inquire with the bank about that, but it may decline to provide you with a copy of the applicable policy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To put it simply: WHY did you fall? Did you stumble because you were looking at your phone? Did you just miss the next step? Was there liquid on the step? Was the step broken? Was the handrail broken?

As has been said above, just being at the bank doesn't make it the bank's fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">