• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felon in possession of a BB Gun?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpxnoonan

I am in California. I am a convicted felon, and am off of parole. Is it legal for me to own a BB Gun on my own property? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

jpxnoonan

Felon in possession of a BB Gun

I am OFF of parole, I had never asked him while I was on parole. I am assuming he would have said no, but I dont know if the law changes once you are off of parole. Thanks.

jpxnoonan

Felon in possession of a BB Gun

Lets assume he said no. Would conditions be different now since I am off parole? Just like I couldn't drink while on parole, now I can.

seniorjudge

I can't answer hypothetical questions.

Ask your former parole officer.

BB guns may be classified as deadly weapons and your possession could be illegal.

hdianne

jpxnoonan said:
I am in California. I am a convicted felon, and am off of parole. Is it legal for me to own a BB Gun on my own property? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
The laws could be different in your state (I live in TX) but my PO told me that it's ok to have a BB gun because it is not a firearm. I would find out for sure before getting one though.

FIP111

Law in Texas says that a convicted felon may posses a fire-arm--- (5) years after completing his/her sentence. Whether that was in jail or on paper. After (5) years they may posses a fire-arm in there home only!! As for the air rifles.... these are not classified as fire-arms, because they do not use an explosion to project the bullet. They may be possessed-----> according to federal law. You might check with your local law, to be sure there are no local laws that include such guns as (prohibited weapons). Hope this helps

CdwJava

Under CA law an air rifle is not classified as a firearm, either. He could have possessed it even if he were on ACTIVE parole (absent a condition prohibiting such possession).

Note that this thread was about 5 years old. Please keep an eye on the dates of threads you are responding to as "necroposting" is frowned upon here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">