• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony convictions in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Circus

My nephew became addicted to crack cocaine at age 19 and committed five felonies (auto theft, evading arrest, credit card fraud) in two separate episodes over a period of two years. Because of the nature of his problem and the fact that he didn't admit to having a problem for a long time, and also because he had stolen from family members, we thought that if he served time he would learn a valuable lesson. He was incarcerated for about eight months in several county jails in and around Dallas, and spent a couple of months in a state prison. He asked for help when he was released and we got him to a three-month rehab program, where he followed the program and became involved in NA and AA. He's been clean for about a year and a half, since before he went to prison, and is doing very well with his program. Now he is 22 years old and is having trouble finding a job because of his record. Is there any hope at all that his record could be expunged?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Thanks for any advice you may have!
Circus

CavemanLawyer

Short of getting a presidential pardon, the answer is no. In Texas you can only expunge or seal arrests not resulting in a conviction (dismissal, acquittal, or successful completion of deferred probation.) If he went to State Jail on these charges, than he was convicted and it will remain on his record for the rest of his life. The best he can do is stay clean and law abiding. The more time that passes, the less potential employers will hold it against him.

Circus

Thanks

NOT what I wanted to hear, Caveman, but thank you for responding! It's a shame, I know thousands of young kids are in this position, they just don't understand how their bad decisions will affect them forever...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">