• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony to Misdemeanor, Which Statute applies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Freedom2005

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello everyone! I posted a Statute of Limitations question last night. I received few replies, so I thought I would reach out one more time to all criminal law buffs for a response.

Here goes….

In 2002, I was arrested and charged with Felony Theft. In order to make the charge and bail as high as possible the DA’a office combined multiple counts (Separate Incidents) into this one single case making it a Felony case. Now the DA would like to drop the current charge (3rd Degree Felony Theft) and file multiple indictments. The new charges would be classified as misdemeanors. In the state of Texas, the Limitations period for any misdemeanor is 2 years from the time of the offense.

Would this apply to the respected case?

reyn562

And once again, I told you that once the case is filed in court THERE IS NO STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS, don't you understand? Therefore, the state attorney's office can at any time reduce the case to a misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">