• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Felony warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Payne28

A felony arrest warrant was just issued for me for a possession charge earlier this year. My attorney is out of the office and I don't know what to do or where to go. I am a full time college student and employee. The bond was posted for $5000 and I don't even have half that. I am wondering what my options are, if I should stay home or leave the state for a few days, and if I do stay should I avoid class and work or just have someone else give me rides? Located in Missouri

quincy

A felony arrest warrant was just issued for me for a possession charge earlier this year. My attorney is out of the office and I don't know what to do or where to go. I am a full time college student and employee. The bond was posted for $5000 and I don't even have half that. I am wondering what my options are, if I should stay home or leave the state for a few days, and if I do stay should I avoid class and work or just have someone else give me rides? Located in Missouri
You should either wait for your attorney to return (and risk arrest on the warrant) or contact another attorney to help in turning yourself in (generally a smarter move).

Does your current attorney have a partner or does he work in a firm? The partner or an attorney from the firm should be your first choice.

Payne28

You should either wait for your attorney to return (and risk arrest on the warrant) or contact another attorney to help in turning yourself in (generally a smarter move).

Does your current attorney have a partner or does he work in a firm? The partner or an attorney from the firm should be your first choice.
He works in a firm and the firm is closed for the weekend, possibly tomorrow as well. I have tried to contact his personal number along with another attorney from the firm's personal number with no success.

quincy

He works in a firm and the firm is closed for the weekend, possibly tomorrow as well. I have tried to contact his personal number along with another attorney from the firm's personal number with no success.
Call tomorrow and hope you are not arrested in the meantime.

And keep your attorney's number with you so you can try again to reach him if arrested.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You might also put together a list of courses/instructors' contact info.

Should you be arrested, of course you want your atty contacted first, but some teachers would count being in jail as an "excused absence" and will work with you, depending on your standing in the class and the time in the semester. Unless you have someone like my little brother - love the guy but once he refused to give an incomplete to a student who needed abdominal surgery just before the end of the semester.

It's too late in the semester to withdraw, I suspect.

The warrant isn't going to go away, so just deal with it - don't make your life worse by avoiding reality.

TigerD

First, I am required to say: If you have a warrant you should turn yourself in. You should definitely work with your attorney to arrange your surrender.

Depending on where you are, you may not get a court date until the warrant is served. Some areas of Missouri will allow surety bond. Don't discuss the charges with anybody. Don't answer any questions without your attorney. When you are arrested, you will likely get a visit from a detective of drug task force officer. Ask for your attorney and decline to answer questions. The officers will tell you they can help you. They cannot. They can and will lie to you. At this stage any "deal" has to be made by the PA and your attorney.

Be ready to deal with the University's campus discipline process. When the school finds out about your pending charges, they will start their own process. Talk to your attorney before you talk to the school.

TD

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">