• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence encroaching property in north carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I purchased house in north Carolina. Upon closing, I was told merritage placed fence on 15 feet on my property. This fence was present before I signed contract to purchase house. Am I at risk for losing the property on the other side of the fence? There is a main road there and they may widen it in the future.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Use a search engine and search "adverse possession law North Carolina", as that is what you seem to be asking about.

What is on the other side of the fence? Is there any question that the adjacent owner would consider/act like the fence is a legitimate boundary between your properties?

LdiJ

I purchased house in north Carolina. Upon closing, I was told merritage placed fence on 15 feet on my property. This fence was present before I signed contract to purchase house. Am I at risk for losing the property on the other side of the fence? There is a main road there and they may widen it in the future.
No, you are not at risk of losing that property, at least not without some sort of compensation.

Use a search engine and search "adverse possession law North Carolina", as that is what you seem to be asking about.

What is on the other side of the fence? Is there any question that the adjacent owner would consider/act like the fence is a legitimate boundary between your properties?
The fence was present before I signed the contract to buy the property and have Merritage (the builder) build a house. It went down alongside the entire road and I thought that was the end of my property. There is about 10-15 feet of my property on the other side of the fence and then I guess the rest of the land/grass belongs to the state. Then there is a major road. I did not find out my property was on the other side of the fence until I went to closing. There has been some talk about the state possibly widening the road

The fence was present before I signed the contract to buy the property and have Merritage (the builder) build a house. It went down alongside the entire road and I thought that was the end of my property. There is about 10-15 feet of my property on the other side of the fence and then I guess the rest of the land/grass belongs to the state. Then there is a major road. I did not find out my property was on the other side of the fence until I went to closing. There has been some talk about the state possibly widening the road
So when I read about adverse possession, it makes me think that if I don’t take down the fence, Merritage,the builder would own it in 20 years. I am in a subdivision and I just can’t take down the fence... what are my options?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">