• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence Replacement and Mechanics Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cek

I hired a contractor to replace my old fence on April 12th, 2001. Job was not satisfactory, the fence was away from the property line, and inferior work was done. This was a shared fence with my neighbor, who agreed to pay half. I sent the contactor a registered letter with my complaint, and asked what he could do to rectify the problem. He left me a phone message saying that he would put a lien on my property that would cost me $400 to be removed. He demands payment for the full fence and my share of payment was half. What procedure does he need to follow to place a mechanic's lien on my property? Does he need a judgment, time factor, or additional fees for the lien that I might have to pay? Finally, what recourse do I have? Thank you kindly for your help. This matter was done in California

Regards,

cek
[email protected]

T

tamwham2

lein

If you look under my post in small claims court there is additional information on the lein process. The key term I have learned is Abstract of Judgment.

I believe this is the way it goes:
You can put a mechanics lein for up to 90 days, but you would need to proceed in small claims court and get an Abstract of Judgement so the lein would be more effective ( longer lasting )?.

If you do not proceed to small claims court within 90 days, and you just "dropped it" your client could come back and sue you for placing the mechanic lien. the mechanics lien is only for a short period of 90 days then just cancelled without further action.

I am not sure this is correct, this is just my interpataion, Homeguru am I close?

thanks
tamwham, texas

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">