• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fender Bender Nightmare?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terrberr83

Dover, Delaware.

Hello, my name is Terrence and my wife was in a car accident before we were married. It was a fender bender. She was stopped at a stoplight with a car in front of her, and her vehicle jumps forward into the rear end of a 1991 bmw 318i. The result is a cracked bumber and little else. My wife said the car was acting up. Well, two years later, she is being sued for injuries incurred in the accident. What I would like to know is how do courts handle these cases? My wife has no court date, and has not been included in any of this lawsuit. It seems as if she has no say in what happens. She hasn't even given a report as to what happend and out of nowhere, a lawsuit. Has anyone had a similar accident? How much money can we expect to have to pay these people? A stopped car can only go so fast and hit so hard in five feet. What's worse is they claim my wife was "Out of Control" like she is a psychopath or something. Will a 12 man jury and a judge be fair about this, or is this pretty much a loss for us? Thank you.

djohnson

What has she received to show she is being sued? Is she or the insurance company being sued? What do you know about what transpired after the accident? What insurance paid? What damage?

terrberr83

My wife received a phone call from USAA saying that a lawsuit had been brought against her. A couple weeks later a representative from the city sheriffs office came to our house with the report of the accident and the notice of a lawsuit. I believe the insurance company is being sued. My wifes car insurance only covers 15000 dollars bodily injury per person with a 30000 dollar max. After the accident my wife did the usual. She gave her information to the other driver and received information from them. She was upset of course. Then she went home. The insurance will pay 15000 dollars and if it goes above that I guess will be out of our pocket. My wife cracked the other drivers bumper and nothing happend to hers. We definitely don't have money to pay anyone. Is bankruptcy the only way out? Or, will they settle for the 15000 the insurance company will give so they can make it out with something? If they sue, we have to file bankruptcy and they will get nothing. This is frustrating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">