• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiduciary Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

t_burns13

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I work as the office manager for a company that administers their own 401K plan. I am the only office person and I report directly to the president of the company. Since the company administers it’s own 401K plan the responsibility falls to me to figure out how many shares to purchase for each person. I send the check in to the mutual fund company and then record how many shares each person has purchased so I can provide them with their individual reports. My boss is the trustee of the plan and makes all of the decisions for the plan. I have been looking for a company to administer the plan for us because I feel it would be in the best interest of the participants since neither myself nor my boss are qualified to run a 401K plan. I do not participate in the plan for the same reason. Every financial planner or 401K administrator I speak with tells me that our plan is out of compliance, illegal in every way etc. Every time I speak with someone new I report to my boss what they have said. He says he is not concerned with fiduciary liability. I’ve just read that I may have fiduciary liability because I am involved in the administration of the plan. Is this true?

Yesterday a former employee who still has his retirement funds in the 401K called because he found an error in one of his statements. The amount he specified was not withheld from his paycheck to be deposited into the mutual fund. He feels he has lost money because of this mistake. I was not employed with the company at the time this mistake occurred. I would like to tell this person to take the paperwork he has and get advice from someone who knows how a 401K is supposed to be run. Can I tell him this? Do I have a legal responsibility to tell him this? Certainly if I do have fiduciary responsibility in this situation I will tell my boss I won’t have anything to do with the company 401K plan until it is administered according to ERISA guidelines even though it could mean loosing my job. Based on previous actions I believe my boss feels he is above the law. They fire people on a regular basis just to keep other employees on their toes.

Beth3

He says he is not concerned with fiduciary liability. Then he's a fool. More than one executive and union official has landed in jail over the last decade or two for malefeasance in administering their employees' or memberships' retirement plans.

I just read that I may have fiduciary liability because I am involved in the administration of the plan. Is this true? It's possible, although the primary responsibility resides with the ownership/senior management of the company, not the administrative person just "following orders" (assuming that individual isn't actually engaging in any wrongdoing, such as diverting funds.) If you really want to get an expert opinion as to whether you have any liability here, you're going to have to consult with an attorney experienced in ERISA reg's/benefit plans.

I would like to tell this person to take the paperwork he has and get advice from someone who knows how a 401K is supposed to be run. Can I tell him this? You can, although your boss could fire you if this 401(k) mess blows up in his face and he finds out you played a role in it. Heck, he'll probably fire you anyway and try and make you the scapegoat.

Do I have a legal responsibility to tell him this? Probably not, as you are not designated as the plan administrator.

Based on previous actions I believe my boss feels he is above the law. Then he will find out the hard way he's not when a participant starts to get concerned and contacts the federal Department of Labor. They do not look kindly upon an employer messing around with retirement funds and violating ERISA reg's.

My advice to you is to document the instructions you receive from the boss when administering the Plan and any conversations you've had advising him to get expert assistance (for your own protection, should you ever need it) and get the heck out of there as quickly as you can.

T

t_burns13

Thank you so much Beth3. Believe me I am trying to get out of the whole situation. The economy just isn't what it used to be. From now on I will document everything. I am going to start by having a potential 401K administrator come in to review our plan and request from them in writing all of the things that are not compliant about our plan.

Beth3

I am going to start by having a potential 401K administrator come in to review our plan and request from them in writing all of the things that are not compliant about our plan. That is an excellent idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">