• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiduciary responsibility - 401a pension plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpn280

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to file a lawsuit against a pension plan administrator for failure to exercise fiduciary responsiblity? The plan administrator is in another state.

In 2007, several pension plans filed lawsuits against a major bank due to subprime losses in bond funds. I believe these were ERISA lawsuits. As I am in a 401a local government pension plan, I cannot join any of these class action lawsuits.

The pension plan uses this same bank as in the ERISA lawsuits to manage its bond portfolio. The facts and circumstances are basically the same as alleged in these lawsuits. I do know at least one State pension fund (non-ERISA) did settle with this bank (does me little good though).

I feel the pension plan failed to monitor the actions of the bank and has failed to protect the interests of the pension plan participants by pursuing legal recourse against the bank.

Any advice as to whether I would have a case and if it came to filing a lawsuit, would this have to be done in my state or the state the pension fund in located in?

Any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">