• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiduciary responsibility for tax returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

co-executor

What is the name of your state?Originally we needed to get an employer ID # to create a legal entity for the estate and file returns. We only needed one ID#, so it happened that our attorney used the other executors ss# to apply for it. He is the oldest. This was not a problem before, but now there are serious communication and trust issues between me and other executor. He is resigning, etc. (And for some reason the resignation issue has been going on for 6 months, with no end in sight.) Should I request that the lawyer change the employer ID #? My concern is that I need to make sure the figures for the estate are correct this year, because I believe they were off by quite a bit last year and we may need an amendment. I am taking an assertive role with accountant this year, but I'm uncomfortable with the situation. I don't want these forms to be completed with the wrong info, signed and done before I have a chance to varify the info. I have all the accurate financial data, and informed the accountant to use what I gave him.

Also, as a follow up, because there are two executors, shouldn't both be required to sign off on the tax returns, since ultimately we are both liable for truth in disclosure?

Dandy Don

There is no need to change the ID number since you are going to be using to report the activity for the one legal entity. But you can get your question answered by contacting the authority that issues the ID#'s.

If the other executor is resigning, then his signature is not needed for the tax returns. Just make sure you have something in writing from him or from the court that verifies he has officially resigned.

C

co-executor

I have something in writing from him, notarized and all, but the Court has not made it official yet. We're getting there. Thanks again for your assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">