• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fiduciary responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loss_hoot

What is the name of your state? California
My sister is the trustee of my father's estate. I am a beneficiary. I requested from my sister (the trustee) some information regarding the estate. She (the trustee) refused to provide it to me. She (the trustee) said I was not legally entitled to it. I then consulted an attorney who informed me that I was, in fact, legally entitled to the information I had requested. By hiring an attorney I was able to receive from my sister (the trustee) the information she had orginally denied me. I want for my my sister (the trustee)
to reimburse me the money I had to pay that attorney. Does she owe me that money or should I forget about it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

loss_hoot said:
What is the name of your state? California
My sister is the trustee of my father's estate. I am a beneficiary. I requested from my sister (the trustee) some information regarding the estate. She (the trustee) refused to provide it to me. She (the trustee) said I was not legally entitled to it. I then consulted an attorney who informed me that I was, in fact, legally entitled to the information I had requested. By hiring an attorney I was able to receive from my sister (the trustee) the information she had orginally denied me. I want for my my sister (the trustee)
to reimburse me the money I had to pay that attorney. Does she owe me that money or should I forget about it?

My response:

What "hard evidence" do you have the she ever denied your request?

How much did you pay the attorney?

IAAL

Dandy Don

She doesn't owe you the money and you should forget about it. It will only cause more problems for you if you haggle over this relatively small amount of money, because if sister wanted to continue being mean and uncooperative with you she could stall/delay the trust proceedings and make it a long time before you receive your check, and it's just not worth the aggravation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
She doesn't owe you the money and you should forget about it.

MY RESPONSE: Explain.

It will only cause more problems for you if you haggle over this relatively small amount of money,

MY RESPONSE: Small amount of money? What is your definition of "small" in relation to our writer, and how did you determine that the amount was "small"?

because if sister wanted to continue being mean and uncooperative with you she could stall/delay the trust proceedings and make it a long time before you receive your check, and it's just not worth the aggravation.

MY RESPONSE: According to our writer, the Trustee is ALREADY delaying matters - - ANYWAY! So, how do YOU know that it won't be worth the "aggravation" to keep the Trustee "on her toes"?

Dandy, where are you coming up with your assumptions?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

And, of course, as is per the usual, good ol' Dandy Don doesn't have any explanations, justifications, or legal reasoning for his answers; i.e., when I challenge him on a subject, he just simply fails or refuses to respond.

Typical.

IAAL

lwpat

You need to request the information in writing CRRR and specify a response date. The usual time frame is thirty days after receipt.

If she still refuses you can file a motion for a hearing with the probate court. This does not sound good so you need to follow up right away. Is your sister serving with or without bond?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">