• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting City Hall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimputer

I bough a triplex a year ago and renovated the 2nd and 3rd floor apartments. I closed the permit and got a C/O on the 2nd floor first. When I tried to close on the 3rd floor building permit I was told by the inspector that he wouldn't close it out until I got an engineers report saying my fire escape (wooden, like a small deck that goes up all 3 levels) is structurally sound OR I replaced the entire structure. This was the same inspector that had inspected and closed out the 2nd floor permit (with the same fire escape!). I convinced him after a few months to close the permit since it had nothing to do with the fire escape and we would deal with the fire escape separately however he wouldn't give me a C/O until we addressed the escape. Meanwhile, I rented the 2nd floor out.

I had planned on replacing the fire escape although it was extremely expensive to do so (over $10k). I hired a contractor and he began the process of opening up a permit for it and then I got the news from him that the town would not open the permit until he had an architect design the fire escape which would cost another $3k. The contractor couldn't believe that they wouldn't just let me, the homeowner, sign off on his drawing for a simple fire escape. While looking for an engineer, I found one and he said our fire escape was structurally sound.

The town sent me (and the other 3 rowhomes with similar fire escapes) a violation saying to provide a structural engineers report that the escape is structurally sound. I spent $750 for the engineer to formally inspect the escape and write the report that says it IS structurally sound. The inspector went back to the property after receiving the letter, called my engineer out to the property, ripped out one of the steps in front of him, argued with him that he did not do a thorough job inspecting the escape, and then sent a new violation that they don't agree with the engineer and they want him to either write another report or we need to hire another engineer. At what point do I just hire an attorney and sue the town? I am out over 4 months of rent, $750 for the engineer, $500 for the contractor to start the permits, etc. This area of town was recently saved from eminent domain and is now considered a "redevelopment zone". I have a feeling the town has something else in mind for this area and they have no intentions on making this work. They are harassing me and I don't know how to fight city hall.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only!

I bough a triplex a year ago and renovated the 2nd and 3rd floor apartments. I closed the permit and got a C/O on the 2nd floor first. When I tried to close on the 3rd floor building permit I was told by the inspector that he wouldn't close it out until I got an engineers report saying my fire escape (wooden, like a small deck that goes up all 3 levels) is structurally sound OR I replaced the entire structure. This was the same inspector that had inspected and closed out the 2nd floor permit (with the same fire escape!). I convinced him after a few months to close the permit since it had nothing to do with the fire escape and we would deal with the fire escape separately however he wouldn't give me a C/O until we addressed the escape. Meanwhile, I rented the 2nd floor out.

I had planned on replacing the fire escape although it was extremely expensive to do so (over $10k). I hired a contractor and he began the process of opening up a permit for it and then I got the news from him that the town would not open the permit until he had an architect design the fire escape which would cost another $3k. The contractor couldn't believe that they wouldn't just let me, the homeowner, sign off on his drawing for a simple fire escape. While looking for an engineer, I found one and he said our fire escape was structurally sound.

The town sent me (and the other 3 rowhomes with similar fire escapes) a violation saying to provide a structural engineers report that the escape is structurally sound. I spent $750 for the engineer to formally inspect the escape and write the report that says it IS structurally sound. The inspector went back to the property after receiving the letter, called my engineer out to the property, ripped out one of the steps in front of him, argued with him that he did not do a thorough job inspecting the escape, and then sent a new violation that they don't agree with the engineer and they want him to either write another report or we need to hire another engineer. At what point do I just hire an attorney and sue the town? I am out over 4 months of rent, $750 for the engineer, $500 for the contractor to start the permits, etc. This area of town was recently saved from eminent domain and is now considered a "redevelopment zone". I have a feeling the town has something else in mind for this area and they have no intentions on making this work. They are harassing me and I don't know how to fight city hall.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is US law. This happened in NJ. I don't understand your reply.
Thank you. In your original question, you did not give your state.

With that said, you need to either comply with the requirements, or appeal per the city's procedures.

VinnieL

Talk to consumer affairs, DA, before hiring an attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">