• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fighting county "pay to stay" fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevenorquist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I was in the Fillmore county jail and am being charged over $3,400 in "pay to stay" fees. They have a law firm that is being pretty relentless about getting their money. They contact me at work, charge a 6% interest rate, and are threatening to garnish my wages. The statute says that if I can prove that I don't have the money or it will cause a hardship for my family, that they may wave the fee. I have requested a financial review numerous times, however, they refuse. I am a very low income, single dad with 3 children. If it wasn't for programs like the Minnesota family investment program we wouldn't even be making it. I need to know how to get these people in front of a judge. Can I take the county to court based on the fact that they are refusing to do a financial review? How? And can I fight the collector that is trying to garnish my wages? What sort of paperwork do I need to file? Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota
I was in the Fillmore county jail and am being charged over $3,400 in "pay to stay" fees. They have a law firm that is being pretty relentless about getting their money. They contact me at work, charge a 6% interest rate, and are threatening to garnish my wages. The statute says that if I can prove that I don't have the money or it will cause a hardship for my family, that they may wave the fee. I have requested a financial review numerous times, however, they refuse. I am a very low income, single dad with 3 children. If it wasn't for programs like the Minnesota family investment program we wouldn't even be making it. I need to know how to get these people in front of a judge. Can I take the county to court based on the fact that they are refusing to do a financial review? How? And can I fight the collector that is trying to garnish my wages? What sort of paperwork do I need to file? Please help.
Where does the statute say that they MUST waive the fee?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">