• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File 1040x Amended after April 15

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idn1221

What is the name of your state? Texas,

Can I file and IRS except my 1040X Amended after April 15 for my current tax return.

LdiJ

Can I file and IRS except my 1040X Amended after April 15 for my current tax return.
Generally yes. There is at least one instance where an amended return cannot be filed after April 15th, but unless you filed a joint return with your spouse and now want to change it to a married filing separate return, that won't apply to you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

For most changes you need to make you can file the amended return at any time during the three year period starting from the date you filed the return or the date the return was due, whichever is later. That said, you should file the amended return promptly once you are aware of errors that need to corrected. Ldij has already mentioned the one change that cannot be done after the return due date, which is that you cannot change your filing status from married filing joint to married filing separately after that date.

FlyingRon

The other thing you can do is to just compute what you think you owe and submit that by April 15 and get the extension until October. Of course, if you're expecting a refund, that's probably not preferable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">