• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File as Dependent or Independent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxeddiexx

New Jersey

As a full time junior in college paying about $9000/year tuition and making about $10,000-$15000/year, is it better for me to file my taxes as dependent under my parents, or independent? My parents make a little more than $60,000/year and have very little savings in bank account. I also have a brother so it's a family of 4. My main concern is that if I file independent my parents will lose some of their tax return, but then maybe I'll gain more? Any suggestions please?

Snipes5

The claiming of an exemption isn't really "optional". If you are supporting yourself, you get your own exemption. If your parents are supporting you, they should claim you.

There is a worksheet on the IRS website, www.irs.gov Look up "support test", and do the worksheet to see who gets the exemption.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">